UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6272  
Subject: Family reunion site Date: 7/28/2012 4:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dh's family get together every year for 3-4 days the first weekend in August. This year, we are going to a place in Oregon that DH's family went to 50 years ago. My FIL has stated that this is the last time he wants to travel out of Colorado for these reunions.

Several years, we have stayed at the Redstone Inn. This is the almost perfect place for us. We can hang out at the pool, people come and go, eat whenever they wanted (kept and running tab poolside), walk down the street and shop, BIL fishes, someone arranges an outing - jeep trip to Crystal River Mill, or go up to Marble. It is nice and relaxed. However, one SIL gets altitude sickness, and there are problems with family members who just don't like the long drive from Denver and have experienced problems with flying in/out of Aspen when the weather doesn't cooperate.

One year we rented a small group of cabins in Grand Lake. Again, we had a communal place to hang out (outside the cabins in an enclosed area), each cabin had a kitchen so people had stuff to eat when they wanted during the day, and we had short walks to restaurants for dinner. However, SIL had lots of trouble there and even I am starting to have occasional altitude problems (lived outside CO too long :( )

But we can't think of any other place to go in the foothills or plains. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Barbara
Print the post Back To Top
Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6242 of 6272
Subject: Re: Family reunion site Date: 7/28/2012 4:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Oh yeah, there are 13 of us. Only one who is 10 years old. Otherwise, we are 22-86 years old.

Barbara

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6243 of 6272
Subject: Re: Family reunion site Date: 7/29/2012 4:59 PM
Is 8000 ft too high? There's the YMCA camp at Estes Park - convenient to town for shopping, river rafting, fishing, etc, plus Rocky Mt National Park for those who don't get altitude sickness:

http://www.ymcarockies.org/EPC_Family_Reunions.htm

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6244 of 6272
Subject: Re: Family reunion site Date: 7/31/2012 7:09 AM
I don't have much. Look on vrbo for some places in the city near light rail. There were also some large places in the foothills-Golden or Evergreen. I don't know the budget but how about something in or near Colorado Springs.

I've been to the Y of the Rockies near Granby and had a good time with our kids.

You might also post on the travel board-people who visit rather than live here may have better ideas.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement