Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5056  
Subject: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 6:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Move to a city where your wages are high, but your expenses are low...

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/harper/151.asp?LID=34660

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Kestrel2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1009 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 8:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Definitely a good idea! I like this list of cities, it has some surprising ones that people wouldn't necessarily consider. Terminalwriter and I should like it, being residents of the #1 area! :)

http://www.employmentreview.com/2003-06/coverstory/CNcoverstory.asp

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1010 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 9:02 AM
Recommendations: 0
Definitely a good idea! I like this list of cities, it has some surprising ones that people wouldn't necessarily consider. Terminalwriter and I should like it, being residents of the #1 area! :)

Not me. I don't want people knowing how great a place this is! They'll keep migrating this way!

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1011 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 9:03 AM
BTW, I just noticed you're a Network Engineer, any positions open for a someone with MCSE & A+ where you work?

Author: FriedaChopsticks Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1012 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 11:44 AM

And I'm in #2!! I love it. Today there was a nice little article in the NYTimes about my city, too.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/10/travel/escapes/10HOUR.html

Friedachopsticks
-- shameless in her pride

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1014 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 12:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Move to a city where your wages are high, but your expenses are low...

We have done this to a certain degree. We live in the Chicago area but opted to purchase a home in the far west suburbs. The costs are quite a bit lower but it requires a bit more of a commute to most of the jobs.

The area surrounding my current job has home prices in the millions and high six-figures. In addition, it seems most of the local people all drive the latest and greatest luxury cars or SUVS. Personally, I love my 65 mile one-way commute in my 1997 car with 110,000 miles to my much cheaper home and the biggest bonus is that it is helping our path to FIRE.

Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read.

dt

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1018 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 2:52 PM
dsemmler:
The area surrounding my current job has home prices in the millions and high six-figures. In addition, it seems most of the local people all drive the latest and greatest luxury cars or SUVS. Personally, I love my 65 mile one-way commute in my 1997 car with 110,000 miles to my much cheaper home and the biggest bonus is that it is helping our path to FIRE.

I've commuted to Dallas for over 21 years now from a rural North Texas town. The low cost of living has contributed significantly to our FIRE plans. However, the increased traffic has deluted the enjoyment of the drive significantly in the past few years. I used to be able to leave at 6:20 and get to work by 7am or so without much of a hassle but now I have to leave at 6am to get there buy that time. I have been experimenting by leaving by 5:30 just so I don't have to deal with the stop and go traffic but then I give up sleep.

What has happened is that the rural areas between Dallas and the Oklahoma state line are being developed very fast. My property taxes and home evaluations are not much different than the suburbs of Dallas. Therefore, when my son graduates from school in 2004, I will consider moving closer to Dallas. The low cost of living benefit is gone and its just not worth it to me anymore!

I will be looking for a much smaller home closer to work that hopefully will lower our housing and commuting expenses. The increased free time will be great too.

decath

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1019 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/10/2003 3:05 PM
Recommendations: 2
I have been experimenting by leaving by 5:30 just so I don't have to deal with the stop and go traffic but then I give up sleep.

That is one nice thing that my employer has very flexible time. When I first started here, I was leaving my house at 5:45am and getting to work just before 7am. Lately, I have been leaving around 8am and getting to work around 9am. That gives me time in the morning to have breakfast with the kids and see them before leaving for work. In addition, my employer allows me to work 4 10-hour days to reduce my commute.

What has happened is that the rural areas between Dallas and the Oklahoma state line are being developed very fast. My property taxes and home evaluations are not much different than the suburbs of Dallas. Therefore, when my son graduates from school in 2004, I will consider moving closer to Dallas. The low cost of living benefit is gone and its just not worth it to me anymore!

Sounds somewhat similar to our area. It is growing quite rapidly and my property taxes are actually getting quite high. Although, we got into our house about 4 years ago before our area started to grow so we got in at a pretty cheap price. Friends of mine that live in suburbs just a bit closer to the city have paid close to $50k-$75k more for a much smaller home. Not to mention our home value has increased roughly $85k in the 4 years we have been here.

It seems you can only live out in the cheaper areas for so long until they become more populated and the costs increase. As you said, the options are to either keep moving further out or bite the bullet and move closer to something within your price range.

dt

Author: Kestrel2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1023 of 5056
Subject: Re: Faster path to FIRE Date: 10/12/2003 9:59 PM
BTW, I just noticed you're a Network Engineer, any positions open for a someone with MCSE & A+ where you work?

It's possible, but unlikely. We've been in a hiring freeze for quite a while, actually. And my small part of the company does all Cisco stuff at the moment. I never could get the hang of all that MCSE stuff anyway! :)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement