Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FogChicken Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35912  
Subject: Faster Than Light revisited Date: 1/8/2013 9:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I bought this one a while back on Beerio's recommendation and have been playing it quite a bit since. It's low key and easily paused at any time, so it's good for parents on new baby duty for example. I've now won the game twice on Normal (I didn't play at all on Easy after the first run).

Replay value is really a strong point for this game - each game plays very differently depending on what opportunities you get in what order or which weapons you find. There are also a number of unlockable ships, nine in total, with an alternate layout/starting build for each. Many of these are 'challenges' where you are given an unusual starting crew, weapon and/or system along with one or more weaknesses. The challenge is to find a strategy that makes optimal use of your start feature while minimizing (and eventually correcting) your weaknesses. I have 11 of 18 possible layouts now and they all seem viable with the correct approach, but some of the more extreme ones do seem a bit more reliant on luck.

Some events that you encounter over and over will reveal new branches if you qualify for them, based on having particular crew members, augments, weapons and/or system upgrades. If there's an event that seems to offer no good outcome, chances are there is a hidden 'blue' option that you haven't qualified for yet. If you are really stuck on something you can look it up on the Wiki - I did this for one of the ship unlocks, where it was clear I was missing something still but I had no idea what it was. For the most part though I prefer to stumble on at random, or you can make educated guesses based on the content.

I highly recommend learning how to use the teleporter if you haven't already. It offers a lot of ways to go wrong but is very strong once you learn how to use it properly, especially with a Rock or Mantis heavy crew. Some ships that are almost impenetrable to weapons can be defeated easily via teleporter, and the rewards from capturing a ship intact are typically a bit better. Just be careful not to make a mistake. My top three are probably fighting in a room I've targeted with a weapon and forgetting to turn off autofire, fighting on a ship that is about to jump to FTL, and fighting on a ship that is almost destroyed (especially one that's on fire). You will need a backup plan for AI controlled ships though as they have no crew or oxygen.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VikingErik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35022 of 35912
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light revisited Date: 1/9/2013 5:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
On one of my FTL runs, I ran into the situation that produced this video, if overpowered gamebreaking amuses you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVmbfb6Wrg

(SPOILERS abound for the last boss fight)

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35023 of 35912
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light revisited Date: 1/11/2013 1:19 AM
Recommendations: 0
I love that setup, just never seem to get it. The weapon pre-igniter is great but oh so rare.

I noticed you only seem to use cloaking to avoid blasts and pump only 1 energy into it. And interesting strategy as it comes back faster. I've always maxed it.

Good video. You have won a lot with a lot of different ships. Kudos to you!

Simon

Author: FogChicken Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35024 of 35912
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light revisited Date: 1/13/2013 3:30 PM
50% off for the rest of the weekend on Steam, just in case $10 is too steep for readers. That's not much more than an Android game (and less than some).

Author: VikingErik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35027 of 35912
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light revisited Date: 1/14/2013 7:07 PM
I noticed you only seem to use cloaking to avoid blasts and pump only 1 energy into it. And interesting strategy as it comes back faster.

On boss battles two and three, you absolutely want to use it at only level 1 so it comes back sooner. The cooldown time from cloak-off to cloak-on is almost exactly equal to the cooldown time of the boss's special attacks. So you want your cloak off ASAP when the special attack passes. If you put 2+ levels into your cloak, the extra time delays your cooldown and you'll be stuck eating the next special attack.

Other than the boss, higher levels of cloaking are fine to use and worth the investment. At the full 15 seconds, you basically get a free weapon recharge while the opponent sits idle. That recharge isn't so important on the boss since your boarders not guns should be doing most of the work.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement