Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am writing on behalf of my sister who lives in Germany. She only recently learned of the FBAR form from her new accountant based in Germany. All of her past tax returns are complete and all taxable income has been reported. She just completed the 2010 FBAR but is getting conflicting advice on what past years have to be filed.
Her accountant says she has to go back five years, and today she called the IRS hotline in Frankfurt,Germany and was told to complete the FBAR for years 2008 and 2009, and if more years are needed she would be contacted.
Can anyone confirm that this is the correct answer, and if not, shed some light on what past years should be filed?
Thanking you in advance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.