UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFBobala One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1359  
Subject: Re: Where is the 4th quarter report? Date: 4/8/2003 5:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
FBCInvestor -- Wow, I'd been waiting to find the one person who noticed we mentioned the FOOL 50 every day in the Take for over a year. I really didn't think anyone was noticing, and in part, that's why we decided to eliminate it. You were right, we decided to let it go when we ended our real-money portfolios. Here's some rationale I posted on the Improve the Fool board earlier today:

No need to be freaked or look for the hidden conspiracy. Indeed, we let the FOOL 50 go when we put our real-money ports to rest. It has nothing to do with the index itself -- more due to lack of interest amongst our readers and the resources it was taking to produce and track the FOOL 50. We decided to devote our energies elsewhere, though I have to admit, it made us a little sad. In a perfect world, we'd like to be able to do everything.

From a resource standpoint, we started working on the index when we were a much larger company. We took submissions from the Community (which was free at the time) and the index was managed by a trustee committee, just about all of whom (except for Bill Mann -- TMF Otter) have moved on to other pastures. It was too big of a job for one man to handle, and Bill has had other priorities. There also was a significant cost to maintaining the index. Given that not many seemed to be paying attention to it, we took it down when we eliminated the Ports and we will stop tracking it soon.

Incidentally, the FOOL 50 was never attached to any kind investing approach. It was an index. We thought it was a better representation of the market than the Dow, plain and simple.

Our over-all investing philosophy has not changed here. We still like to buy to hold great companies at good prices. Rest easy, my friends.

Bob Bobala
Managing Editor
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement