UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: matson15 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2601  
Subject: Re: Metro Products Date: 3/2/2002 6:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
FC, thanks! by "transport gear" do you mean something more than routers and switches?

I'm trying to learn the possible options for investment in the "metro" space.

I'm trying to identify: 1.] what the primary "metro products are? 2.] What are the companies producing the products?? 3.] Does it seem sensible to begin studying all the identifiable "metro" companies, or are there 2 or 3 that stand far enough better than others that it would be reasonable to narrow study to these 3:

Sorrento make switches I thought...now I find in their advertising they call it a "switch router." Would that be on layer 3?? They list smart-looking group of customers, but they show low income [< 50M/yr ...which is about their mark cap].

I understood that the ONIS product also is a "switch", and I am trying to learn more about all this because the CIEN ceo said the ONI metro product would make CIEN more competitive in that space.

What is the issue about metro space that matters whether the switching process occurs at layer 3 or layer 3?

I note references to Cisco and NT as the 2 highest sellers in "metro space." I thought both their metro products were routers.

Are there other companies I should study relative to the metro space?

Once I find out what all the options for learning and investment in this area, I'm sure a point will come where narrowing the focus down to maybe 2 would be appropriate. One obvious way to do that would be to focus on the largest market cap companies [like CSCO and NT]; but its not clear to me what % of these company's revenues come from "metro."
I read otoh, that FIBR, ONIS [now CIEN], and RSTN, all get all their revenue from "metro." Does anyone have a suggestion about whether its obvious that any of these companies should well be winnowed out at an early stage....afterall, I've some limitations on time, and that's part of what I seek here.

with appreciation. matson
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement