UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Polywilliams Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Capital Gone Date: 12/17/2005 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
FC,
While I share your disdain for cRapital one, you have brought your case to us and showed this forum that crap-one has held up it's contract terms as agreed (by both them and you). At the same time, you have admitted to some silly oversights on your own part. It seems that the judgement should be ruled in favor of the defendant in this case.

It should also be known that crap-one has been known to hand over a royal, load-of-crap, screwing to some customers even if they NEVER pay late or break any of the rules. You are wise to sever the relationship with this bottom-of-the-barrel company. I consider MBNA to be a much better company and rate them near the middle of the bell curve, or at least mediocre. Congratulations on the positive move!

Having said the above, I'd like to give you one example of how to stay on top of your credit card situation. The way I handle my payments has resulted in untold savings of potential late fees, high interest, etc.
Here goes:
First, I track and pay all of my credit card accounts online. This makes it easier to see exactly when the creditor receives payment. A side benefit of this is the savings of multiple stamps per year...very tangible.

An important date to watch if you want to keep your money is not the 'payment due' date, but the date that the card cycles for the month. Most company's list this date on their online or paper statements. Why is this date important? Because this is the day when I want to make a payment online. Within hours of the company cycling for the month and listing my next payment as due, I pay **at least the minimum due.**
If I have extra and I'd like to pay...great. If not, I have the opportunity to pay some more at any time up to the date that the next 'cycle' occurs. I always print a payment confirmation for my records and place it in my binder with my paper statements.

Next, I sit back all nice and comfy and wait for my paper statement to arrive in the mail. Note, I am way too anal to opt out of paper statements. I really enjoy the checks and balances provided by getting both online and paper statements.

When the paper statement arrives, I sit with it at my computer and verify online that my payment 'due' has already been received. Essentially, I use the mailed paper statement as a friendly reminder to go online and verify that the bill is already paid.

Once verified, the paper statement is marked 'paid' and gets the three hole punch bit and goes in the binder. If I have not already done so, I look to see the date of the next 'cycle' at this point. It may vary by a day or two from month to month. This leaves me prepared to repeat the process next month. I am proud to say that I have never ever made a late payment to a creditor by using this system. Even if the online system crashed and the phone system was down, I'd still have plenty of time to get a check in the mail. The best part is that I can sleep well at night knowing that I'll never see penalty rates or late fees because I am in control.

Hoping this helps either you or another subscriber...
Polywilliams
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement