Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Zinj Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30  
Subject: Fear the Reaper... Date: 1/14/1999 6:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, the cat's out of the bag and the rumor is confirmed -- ol BEN has announced it will make the first large-scale job cuts in its history (about 7% of the workforce or 560 people, drawn mainly from "operations").

Franklin's annual report portrays the company as having initiated a "global cost reduction program" in September of 1998. Looks like the program has just been expanded! I'm concerned that it took a downturn in the company's assets under management (Asia crisis, followed by spooked investors withdrawing funds) to bring to the front the idea of controlling costs. Seems like something I'd like management to do ANYWAY!

I'm wondering out-loud where the BEN's job cuts will come. The press release specifically stated that the research depts wouldn't be touched, which makes sense, because they don't want to spook shareholders, and BEN is already renoun for paying relatively small salaries to its research folks (who don't make up a large proportion of the overall workforce anyway).

So what exactly does "operations" mean? Customer support? Doubtful, because one of BEN's big gripes recently is that the customer service rating agency, DALBAR, has dramatically lowered it's rating of Franklin over the last couple of years, so they definitely don't want to cut too much there. Besides, account reps don't typically make much money, and BEN is rumored to be cheap in that department as well...

I'm guessing the cuts are mostly in behind-the-lines data processing, supplies ordering, junior mgmt and staff in sales & marketing, and MAYBE some folks in the tech departments. Clearly, tech is where Franklin pays the largest non-management salaries. After all, the job market for tech skills in Silicon Valley is fierce--a financial company is going to have trouble luring skilled people away from companies whose primary focus is technology -- many programmers would assert that it labels them as "second tier" on their resumes if they spend an extended period of time in a staff role at a non-tech firm.

So if BEN does cut technical folks, could this mean that BEN has finished it's year 2000 conversions ahead of schedule and can afford to let people go? I doubt it -- does that sound like any financial institution you've heard of?! Something must be getting axed or postponed. Maybe we'll see in the near future that BEN delays it's proposed new corporate headquarters construction.

Anyway, this is all supposition, but it's an interesting excercise to second guess BEN as to which initiatives and programs it will choose to cancel or postpone in order to make personnel cuts. Or was the company so poorly managed that it managed to over-build its workforce by 7%?!! I hope not!

How's TROW doing?

zinj

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement