UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bgnap Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753325  
Subject: Feasibility of Early Retirement Date: 7/4/1999 3:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Question:

Well, scenario first- my husband (32 y/o) and I (28 y/o) have been thinking more and more lately about early retirement. Especially after familiarizing ourselves with this board! We earn roughly 90k a year. At this point in our financial lives, we are still cleaning up our credit cards messes and should have those taken care of by November of next year. After that point, we will have a healthy amount left over every month to invest (we've learned our lesson about overspending and are doing really well with budgeting these days). Our goal is to have the hubby retire at 40 and myself at 41. I have a pension plan at work that'll kick in when I'm 50 and the hubby has a 401K with about 15k in it right now.

NOW, the questions:
1) Come fall of next year when we intend to aggressively start our 'early retirement nest egg', do we opt for mutual funds??? (We have our son's college money in the Janus fund.) Stocks??? Do we do it via an IRA???

2) Also, we intend to pay down our mortgage early as we have 25 years left at 9%. This way we won't have to worry about a mortgage payment in retirement... thoughts???

In terms of our plans, we only have about a decade or so left before we'd like to retire...is it even feasible to consider retiring so early considering we're just now beginning to plan seriously??? Our calculations are that we'll make approx. 300k in initial contributions to our retirement portfolio within the next decade to live off of during retirement...are we totally off in Lalaland on this early retirement thing??? Please enlighten us...

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for the expert guidance,
BGnAP

p.s. sorry for the long post but these questions have been keeping me awake at night...AAARRRGGGHHH...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement