UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: deslandesy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1193  
Subject: Fed up with 20% FC in RRSP? Date: 11/9/1999 12:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4

To all Canadian Fools with a RRSP,

Aren't you fed up with this "20% Foreign Content" rule? Why are we allowed to invest only a small fraction of our money in companies like MSFT, INTC, MCD, IBM, Goodyear, Wallmart, J&J, Pfizer, Merck, etc who all do great business in Canada. They sell, manufacture, trade, invest, build facilities and provide work to many Canadians in Canada. Why is investing in them limited inside a RRSP, but legal outside of it? Double standard?

And why is Mr. Martin trying to limit the ways available to me to maximise my RRSP? The better I do, the more tax I will eventually pay when I start withdrawing! More taxes!.... that usually excite a Minister of finance.... and any politician by the way! By eliminating this "unfair" rule, Mr. Martin would change a "lose-lose" into a "win-win" situation. Presently, this rule is very unfair!

I think something has to be done here. I have E-mailed Mr. Martin directly, with a CC to my MP about this issue, suggesting to eliminate it entirely in his next budget. And not simply increasing the percentage allowed!.... I do not want 25% or 33% or even 50%..(except maybe during a transition period). I would like 100% of stocks of companies that do business in Canada and are traded on Canadian, American and legitimate Worlwide stock exchanges... Nothing less.

If you support this and are interested in also making yourself heard , let me know and I will post what I sent and the URL of the site where you can get the E-mail address of your MP. Hopefully, some of you will agree and write to him as well. The more vocal we are, the more likely things will change! It certainly does not cost very much to try!

Thanks

Yves
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement