Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Cardsany1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120801  
Subject: Federal Auto Luxury Tax Date: 8/5/2001 11:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am considering the purchase of a car this year and am aware of the 4% tax on vehicles costing more than $38,000. Does anyone how the tax is calculated as follows:

(i) tax on only the cost basis above $38,000 or for the entire purchase price?

(ii) how is the purchase price defined? That is, is the tax applied to everything (vehicle cost + destination charge + advertising charge + registration fees + other fees + state sales tax).

Many thanks in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53094 of 120801
Subject: Re: Federal Auto Luxury Tax Date: 8/5/2001 10:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<i.I am considering the purchase of a car this year and am aware of the 4% tax on vehicles costing more than $38,000. Does anyone how the tax is calculated as follows:

(i) tax on only the cost basis above $38,000 or for the entire purchase price?

It's the regular tax on the price up to the limit and then luxury tax above. I'll trust you that $38,000 is the limit mow.

(ii) how is the purchase price defined? That is, is the tax applied to everything (vehicle cost + destination charge + advertising charge + registration fees + other fees + state sales tax).

It includes the first three. It includes everything the dealer charges, since registration and sales taxes are charged by the government, they don't count.

Author: LoTax One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53118 of 120801
Subject: Re: Federal Auto Luxury Tax Date: 8/6/2001 6:41 PM
"It's the regular tax on the price up to the limit...." Huh?

As far as the federal excise tax on "luxury" cars goes, there's *no* tax on the part of the price that's below the "limit".

Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53122 of 120801
Subject: Re: Federal Auto Luxury Tax Date: 8/6/2001 7:41 PM
"It's the regular tax on the price up to the limit...." Huh?

As far as the federal excise tax on "luxury" cars goes, there's *no* tax on the part of the price that's below the "limit".

There's no federal tax, but there's state sales tax which I believe applies to the entire purchase price. If I understand it correctly, the federal luxury tax is on top of the state sales tax. I should have been clearer.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement