Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bvgiri Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121341  
Subject: Federal Exemptions Date: 4/15/2001 10:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I need help in determining the number of exemptions I can claim in my Federal Tax return (1040). I am filing as Married filing Jointly, I do not support anyone other than my wife and I do not have any children. MY WIFE DOES NOT WORK.

With the above info, will I qualify to claim 2 exemptions or 3 on my Federal Tax Form (Check below on exemptions for W4)?,

1) Enter "1" for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent

2) Enter "1" if:

You are single and have only one job; or
You are married, have only one job, and your spouse does not work;
or
Your wages from a second job or your spouse's wages (or the total
of both) are $1,000 or less

3) Enter "1" for your spouse.

Thanks,

Girish

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50319 of 121341
Subject: Re: Federal Exemptions Date: 4/15/2001 11:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I need help in determining the number of exemptions I can claim in my Federal Tax return (1040). I am filing as Married filing Jointly, I do not support anyone other than my wife and I do not have any children.

You claim one and your wife claims one, for a total of two. End of story.

You're confusing the worksheet on the W-4, which calculates withholding allowances, with the personal exemptions on your return. For many people, the two numbers have little resemblence to each other.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: bvgiri Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50321 of 121341
Subject: Re: Federal Exemptions Date: 4/15/2001 11:24 PM
Thanks!

Girish

Author: MrKTabb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50528 of 121341
Subject: Re: Federal Exemptions Date: 4/23/2001 7:22 PM
Um Phil,

I have always listened to what you say on these tax matters, but I have to respectfully disagree. I have been married with 2 children the whole time I have been working and according to the first page of the W-4 (not the second), the person you responded to should claim 3 exemptions according to the W-4 itself. I must say that with my 2 children I always claimed 6 (1-myself, 1-one job in the household, 1-spouse, 2-children, 1-child tax credit or something like that) until we purchase our home, and we ALWAYS ended up with a refund over $1K.

1) Enter "1" for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent

2) Enter "1" if:

You are single and have only one job; or
You are married, have only one job, and your spouse does not work;
or
Your wages from a second job or your spouse's wages (or the total
of both) are $1,000 or less

3) Enter "1" for your spouse.

I once again want to reiterate that I realize that you're a former professional, but the above instructions (the upper half of the form that actually matters to the previous poster) are fairly clear to me.

--Kaylin

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50531 of 121341
Subject: Re: Federal Exemptions Date: 4/23/2001 9:04 PM
Kaylin,

You said:

I have always listened to what you say on these tax matters, but I have to respectfully disagree. I have been married with 2 children the whole time I have been working and according to the first page of the W-4 (not the second), the person you responded to should claim 3 exemptions according to the W-4 itself.

You (also) are (still) confused.

The original poster was asking about the number of exemptions to claim on Form 1040.

The instructions you copied/pasted are from W-4.

As Phil said, one often has nothing to do with the other.

Phooley in Phoenix

Author: MrKTabb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50534 of 121341
Subject: Re: Federal Exemptions Date: 4/24/2001 12:24 AM
Phooley,

You are confused.

I agree...but it was short while it lasted.

The original poster was asking about the number of exemptions to claim on Form 1040.

Aw, shucks (after having gone back to re-read the original post)...I need to stop skimming... :)

The instructions you copied/pasted are from W-4.

Well, yes they were cut and pasted from the original post. But obviously to me now, the text was out of context since the post was a question about form 1040.

As Phil said, one often has nothing to do with the other.

--Kaylin
...who's learning to stop skimming and actually read the posts on these boards...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement