Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Federal law looks to state law to determine property rights and whether income is community or separate. Whether or not your ex is responsible for claiming her share of community income depends upon the state you live in. For instance, Texas has community property laws, and with few exceptions 1/2 of whatever you made while married during the tax year is the spouses income. You will generally get a deduction for alimony paid and your ex will claim income for alimony received. This rule does not apply to any payments designated child support, however. I urge you to engage a qualified tax preparer for the tax year of your divorce. It will probably be well worth the money.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.