Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
1) If my work requires me to live in a state other than that of my spouse/children, am I required to file status "married filing separately" or can I still file "married"?
2) If I can still file "married" status, does it matter which state our feeral return is filed in?
3) Must state and federal returns be filed using the same status, i.e.married vs.married filing separately or can one be filed as one status and the other filed as another?
4) Can I file our federal (married status) from the state I live in, file my state tax also in that state, and my wife file her state tax in the state where she and the kids live?
I know it's a bit confusing but thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.