UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49426  
Subject: Feedback requested Date: 1/18/2013 9:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://boards.fool.com/i-need-your-help-30494056.aspx

I'm providing a link to save me from retyping this. I am using a cell phone and fat fingering is an occupational hazard.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49054 of 49426
Subject: Re: Feedback requested Date: 1/18/2013 10:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The problem of youthful indiscretions resulting in a police record is all too common these days. Its been discussed here before. A few recollections--

Government agencies tend to be somewhat more tolerant than private employers they say.

If it was long ago, list it on employment applications but point out how long ago it was.

Sales positions may be a bit more sensitive because of handling money or potential for all sorts of fraud, theft, etc. But plenty of other positions require salesmanship in one form or another.

Commercial cooking, pastry chef, short order cook, etc, are often taught at jr colleges and sometimes have such programs for prisoner rehabilitation. Perhaps one of those is possible.

The goal probably should be to establish some solid credentials so you can get recommendations from people saying problems are behind her.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49055 of 49426
Subject: Re: Feedback requested Date: 1/18/2013 10:30 PM
I'm sorry. Worrying about your child is like worrying about yourself--and then some.

Has she tried to get the record expunged? Consult a lawyer, not sure which kind is appropriate. Maybe an employment lawyer or criminal lawyer who deals with juveniles if it was a criminal matter. Are there employment agencies that specialize in workers with problems in their past?

The best bet for employment is probably through a personal contact. A contact high enough in a small company (that might have less formal procedures for hiring) and close enough to seriously vouch for her. She may be able to bypass a background check, depending on the business.

If immediate cash is important, there are jobs where background may be less relevant...waitress? clerk in a small shop? used car sales? utility/cable/phone company sales?

If there's time before the financial crunch hits, perhaps get training in an allied health profession.

I hope this ends well.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49056 of 49426
Subject: Re: Feedback requested Date: 1/19/2013 1:57 PM
The problem of youthful indiscretions resulting in a police record is all too common these days. Its been discussed here before. A few recollections--

Government agencies tend to be somewhat more tolerant than private employers they say.

If it was long ago, list it on employment applications but point out how long ago it was. ...
- pauleckler | Date: 1/18/2013 10:23:26 PM | Number: 49055

Actually NOT. The Federal agencies: DIA, CIA, FBI, & NSA have a ZERO tolerance policy for Top Secret clearances.

For good reasons -- obviously.

Kahuna, CFA

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49057 of 49426
Subject: Re: Feedback requested Date: 1/19/2013 2:27 PM
But thousands of state, local and even federal jobs do not require a security clearance. Of course, if you have one already, that is a marketable item for your resume.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49084 of 49426
Subject: Re: Feedback requested Date: 2/7/2013 3:27 PM
Actually NOT. The Federal agencies: DIA, CIA, FBI, & NSA have a ZERO tolerance policy for Top Secret clearances.

Actually, it depends on the agency and whether the applicant is truthful regarding their record. Something that happened as a juvenile, provided it isn't a heinous crime, is not generally held against them.

I'm actually a bit surprised that it's an issue, given that most juvenile records are sealed.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement