UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: gogreengo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Feeling lost, need advice! Date: 2/17/2012 5:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am not sure what direction to go with our retirement savings. We are in our mid-40s and in the past were fairly aggressive investors. We have an old 401k where most of our money is. My husband is at a new job now and we are starting to put a minimal amount in that 401k. Here's the deal:

Back in 2008, we anticipated a big crash and decided to get out of the markets. We ended up losing about 20% instead of 40%, so we kinda felt good about that. We've pretty much stayed out since then with the bulk of that money. BUT now that the markets have come back, I wish we had gotten back into our investments before now. OR, that we hadn't pulled out at all.

We did put some money into a couple of commodities-related mutual funds, figuring they might be good if'n there's inflation on the horizon. We also have a good-performing oil stock.

We are just feeling nervous about investing, due to things like the Europe situation, reading things about the whole economic system possibly collapsing, hyperinflation, etc. Lots of possible doom and gloom!

I am familiar with the conventional wisdom about investing. I am just finding it hard to follow it right now.

I've done some research and found some mutual funds that have done well. And of course indexing is always a good thing.

So, what do we do with the bulk of the money in the old 401k that's in cash right now? Should we dollar-cost average into some mutual funds over time with all of it? Should we leave a lot of it in cash or something similar, but invest maybe 20% of it in mutual funds and see how it goes? Should we stay in cash because the sky might be falling?

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement