UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SaintCroix Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63108  
Subject: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Room Date: 5/27/2002 4:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I think both films are interesting from a feminist point of view. They illustrate a schism in feminist thought, perhaps unintentionally. (Although in the case of Charlie's Angels I think it is intentional).

Panic Room has a female protagonist, and male antagonists. The two women, a mother and daughter, are hiding in their room, while strange men are outside. This is a feminist vision of a male-dominant universe, one that is scary and threatening. You better hide. Dangerous men are everywhere. Unwanted intruders are trying to get inside. The subtext here is rape. Will the female defenses be penetrated by force?

Movies in this genre: Marnie, The Burning Bed, The Accused, Thelma and Louise, Sleeping With the Enemy, Looking for Mr. Goodbar. I think the new film Enough also will fit comfortably within this genre.

While Panic Room has interesting feminist issues, it is not a feminist movie. How did Jodie Foster's character get her money? From a divorce settlement (i.e. from a man). What does Jodie Foster do when she gets in trouble? Calls up her ex-husband (instead of 911). And then--even though the man has been crippled and can barely see--she gives her ex- the gun to hold, instead of using it herself. And then another man comes to her rescue.

Charlie's Angels, on the other hand, has a sharply different view of the world. Again, female protagonists, and a male antagonist. But these women are unafraid. They are not hiding in a safe room, trying to avoid men. Indeed, one gets the idea that they positively like men, but in a "men are silly" sort of way. They manipulate men. They flirt with men. They use sex to their advantage. They fight with men, and win. Hide? No way. What for?

Movies in this genre: The Lady Eve, Double Indemnity, Notorious, Pillow Talk, The Last Seduction, The Avengers, Terminator II.

Anyway, for those who want their shallow escapist entertainment to be "about" something, I would suggest these two films illustrate the Camile Paglia/Catherine Mackinnon debate very well.

Taylor
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17616 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 4:24 PM
Recommendations: 3
What does Jodie Foster do when she gets in trouble? Calls up her ex-husband (instead of 911).

Um, she calls her ex- because the 911 operator immediately puts her on hold instead of taking details from her. This is more of a political statement about the quality of centralised emergency services in the USA than a comment about feminism.

In fact, Panic Room generally is a social comment about the illusion of security. It only touches on feminist issues incidentally--unless you're saying that *every* issue is a feminist issue. In which case, you can compare any two films at random as a basis for discussion.

Ascalon

Author: SaintCroix Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17618 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 5:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
she calls her ex- because the 911 operator immediately puts her on hold instead of taking details from her.

I'd forgotten that, thanks.

This is more of a political statement about the quality of centralised emergency services in the USA than a comment about feminism.

I think it goes under the heading "plot device."

Panic Room generally is a social comment about the illusion of security.

You mean it's a comment on SDI? The military defense budget is too high? There's no point in owning a gun because guns won't make you safe? When I was watching this film I was thinking

a) she should have a dog
b) or a gun

So if they were trying to get me to think "security is an illusion," well, they failed.

It only touches on feminist issues incidentally--unless you're saying that *every* issue is a feminist issue..

I think the movie plays on the fear of single women, living alone. They don't make a big deal about it--the film is not anti-male--but I think there's a rape subtext in the movie. It's why I think she had a daughter, instead of a son. More vulnerable. They don't specify any of this, it's a subtext, an undercurrent. If they wanted to make the feminist issues explicit, they would have taken the money out of the story, and had the intruders make a "hey baby" comment or something. Instead they gave them a reason--other than sex--to get into the room. And keeping the real fear underneath the story made everything more tense, in my opinion. You weren't sure what the men were going to do, if and when they got in there.

Taylor

Author: llisiraw Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17622 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 6:25 PM
SaintCroix: this movie is feminist commentary blah blah blah

Asscalon: this movie is a statement on security blah blah blah

You knuckleheads are both wrong. This isn't some social commentary. It's just a suspense movie. The plot involves a woman because the audience wouldn't care if it was a guy in the room. They'd expect him to fight. duh. The sick daughter is pure manipulation, too. It's a formula piece.

The calls for help go unanswered to add tension, not to save the Nova Scotia whales. It works because Fincher knows how to pace the film.

:P

Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17626 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 6:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
You mean it's a comment on SDI? The military defense budget is too high? There's no point in owning a gun because guns won't make you safe?

Yes.

When I was watching this film I was thinking

a) she should have a dog
b) or a gun

So if they were trying to get me to think "security is an illusion," well, they failed.

A dog is susceptable to bullets just like a human, or drugged meat. Whatever. A gun can jam, misfire or simply miss the target. Didn't Jodie smash light bulbs at one point so that the bad guys couldn't see? Gas, smoke, blindingly-bright magnesium flares would have similar effects. Not much good having a gun when you can't find something to aim at.

Honestly, she could have had a team of armed guards on the door and steel bars over the window. As it was, she already had state of the art security. None of these things is a guarantee. Safety is an illusion and a temporary one at that. As Newt says to Ripley, "It won't make any difference."

Ascalon

Author: AngryCandy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17631 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 8:14 PM
<<It works because Fincher knows how to pace the film.>>

Right.

Absolutely nothing happens in the beginning.

Then nothing at all happens for a while.

And, finally, we get a repeat of absolutely nothing happening.

It provides a sense of consistency and closure.

"There's no way in."

"Really?"

"Nope, no way in."

"Oh well."

"Yup, oh well."

"Damn, I wish there was a way in."

"Yeah but there isn't."

"Darn."

-chris

Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17632 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 9:22 PM
Recommendations: 5
Board Troll (after revealing anal-fixation): You knuckleheads are both wrong. This isn't some social commentary. It's just a suspense movie. The plot involves a woman because the audience wouldn't care if it was a guy in the room. They'd expect him to fight. duh. The sick daughter is pure manipulation, too. It's a formula piece.

Ahh, so the secret to making the audience care about a character in jeopardy is to make sure you cast a female. And only a male character can be expected to fight. Brilliant. Who'd have thought it could be that simple?

The calls for help go unanswered to add tension, not to save the Nova Scotia whales. It works because Fincher knows how to pace the film.

Obviously the point is to add tension. Methinks your Nova Scotia Whales are actually red herrings, however and do not further this discussion. Panic Room unfortunately doesn't work because the script sucks very very badly. Nor is it paced particularly well. I almost agree with you when you say "duh" though. You make it sound so natural--almost like it's a conversational pebble worn smooth in a sea of drool.

:P

Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17637 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/27/2002 10:59 PM
You're the troll who keeps coming back to this movie. Your points are not points at all, it's just "this sucks."

Look. I'm going to ask you once more, and if you play the troll, I'm going to have to kill you. Do you, in fact, have anything to add to this conversation at all?

"Yes, sir."

Really?

"No, sir."

<Bang!>

What a terrible waste, of human life.

Author: llisiraw Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17639 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 12:50 AM
Look Asscalon,

You're right. I like butts. I like you. You big hunk of a man, you. I love your literary allegories. I love your allusions. You move me.

Why do you taunt me so???

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17657 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 11:09 AM
Remember when Thelma and Louise came out?

Every other conversation was "Oooh, that was a feminist movie."

Yeah, right. And Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was a "masculinist movie."

Author: SaintCroix Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17661 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 2:49 PM
Remember when Thelma and Louise came out?

Every other conversation was "Oooh, that was a feminist movie."

Yeah, right.

It blows my mind that you don't consider Thelma and Louise a feminist movie! If that's not a feminist movie, what would be one? Give us an example of a feminist movie.

It's been years since I've seen the film, but I recall a ton of feminist issues. Rape. Controlling husbands. Sex harrassment. The entire movie is like one long feminist revenge fantasy. The theme of the movie is "you can't control me!" So of course you have the badly drawn, two dimensional, redneck control freak husband ("Get your butt back here, Thelma!"). You have a vigilante killing (of a man). The entire motif of the film is over the top vengance. You make a rude comment to me? I blow up your truck. The film is awash in hostility, and it's a very sex-specific hostility. Have you got control issues? The put in a scene where a (male, of course) police officer is humiliated, and reduced to blubbering tears.

Are there similarities to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Sure. The last scene in particular, it's like a homage. But there is no anger in Butch Cassidy. In particular, there's no anger towards women. If anything, their treatment of women is like something out of Jules and Jim.

I think there are films that are hostile to women, and films that are hostile to men, and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out. I'm not sure if The Getaway is hostile to women, but there is a scene where Steve McQueen slaps Ali MacGraw. And in the remake, Kim Basinger slaps Alec Baldwin. Does this have feminist connotations? Of course!

I mean, films are written and directed by people, and sometimes people have political issues, and agendas. And sometimes it's subtle (Panic Room) and sometimes it's not (Thelma and Louise). I think the latter is a rather clear example of the Catherine Mackinnon school of feminism. Missing the anger in that film is like missing the anger in Do The Right Thing.

Taylor

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17662 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 2:58 PM
Recommendations: 4
The entire movie is like one long feminist revenge fantasy. The theme of the movie is "you can't control me!" So of course you have the badly drawn, two dimensional, redneck control freak husband ("Get your butt back here, Thelma!"). You have a vigilante killing (of a man). The entire motif of the film is over the top vengance. You make a rude comment to me? I blow up your truck. The film is awash in hostility, and it's a very sex-specific hostility. Have you got control issues? The put in a scene where a (male, of course) police officer is humiliated, and reduced to blubbering tears.

Feminism (trust me on this) is not about "revenge." But for the sake of argument, let's say it is. Committing suicide is a lousy way to "get revenge."

Author: SaintCroix Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17666 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 3:33 PM
Feminism (trust me on this) is not about "revenge."

I didn't say feminism was about revenge. I said the movie was. There are uplifting feminists works as well, ones that focus on sisterhood and love and hope. But there is a negative, angry version of feminism, one that is fueled by fear. Catherine Mackinnon. Backlash. Take Back The Night. The Patriarchy.

Thelma and Louise fits in this latter category very well. Men are the enemy, fight against men until you can no longer win, and then kill yourself rather than submit. Seriously, you don't see the politics in this film?

Taylor

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17667 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 3:36 PM
There are uplifting feminists works as well, ones that focus on sisterhood and love and hope. But there is a negative, angry version of feminism, one that is fueled by fear. Catherine Mackinnon. Backlash. Take Back The Night. The Patriarchy.

Thelma and Louise fits in this latter category very well. Men are the enemy, fight against men until you can no longer win, and then kill yourself rather than submit. Seriously, you don't see the politics in this film?

No, I'm too blinded by my hatred of men.

Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17668 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 3:50 PM
Feminism (trust me on this) is not about "revenge." But for the sake of argument, let's say it is. Committing suicide is a lousy way to "get revenge."

I'd have thought it's actually a very good revenge technique for a control freak. It establishes their control over their world. And it messes with the heads of the people who have strong feelings for them, laying on a potential guilt trip that the antagonist can no longer deal with person to person.

Ascalon

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17675 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 4:08 PM
I'd have thought it's actually a very good revenge technique for a control freak. It establishes their control over their world. And it messes with the heads of the people who have strong feelings for them, laying on a potential guilt trip that the antagonist can no longer deal with person to person.

You'd think that, but actually the whole "Goodbye cruel world, you'll all be sorry when I'm gone" school of successful suicide is a poorly-attended one and one that is almost free of female applicants.

Author: AgentMitten Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17684 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 4:37 PM
[i]Men are the enemy, fight against men until you can no longer win, and then kill yourself rather than submit.[/i]

Is this your definition of feminism, or do you believe it was the director's definition? Either way, it sure isn't mine.

To me, the whole "men are the enemy" label for feminism seems to be an attempt to discredit it as fanaticism and lunacy.

But then again, boiling real issues down to extreme soundbites is a Hollywood specialty, so I guess there shouldn't be a big surprise there.

Mitten

Author: llisiraw Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17689 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 5:26 PM
I mean, films are written and directed by people, and sometimes people have political issues, and agendas. And sometimes it's subtle (Panic Room) and sometimes it's not (Thelma and Louise). I think the latter is a rather clear example of the Catherine Mackinnon school of feminism. Missing the anger in that film is like missing the anger in Do The Right Thing.

I kinda agree with you on Thelma and Louise, Taylor. You'd have to be crazy to deny this is one potential outlet for feminist issues. If feminism is about empowerment, then this is one way to do it. The whole use of Brad Pitt as a throwaway lover is a not so subtle jab at men.

But, this is a Ridley Scott movie, and I'm guessing that Ridley Scott isn't a feminist. So the movie is a male's version of feminism.

It's the same with Panic Room, a male director. I'm not sure I agree with your penetration analysis, but I could see Panic Room as a male's attempt to show feminist issues.

I think that's what Red and AM and the other grrrrls are getting at. If this is feminism, then it's tainted with Y chromosomes. I think that's a fair criticism.

Would a real feminist movie would have to be directed, written, and catered to women. Let's get Penny Marshall to direct Simone de Beauvoir and cast Meryl Streep.

Just kidding about that Penny Marshall bit... but, here's a question. Is A League of their Own a feminist film? Is there a better example?

Author: SaintCroix Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17690 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 6:00 PM
Recommendations: 6
"Men are the enemy, fight against men until you can no longer win, and then kill yourself rather than submit."

Is this your definition of feminism

No.

do you believe it was the director's definition?

I don't know how Ridley Scott defines feminism. He made G.I. Jane, which is another feminist film, and there is no anti-male agenda in that work. And, interestingly, the movie had a female baddie, something you don't see in Thelma and Louise. I suspect most of the hostility in the latter film comes from the screenwriter, Callie Khouri. Probably she doesn't define feminism as being afraid, or angry, but her brand of feminism sure comes across that way, at least to me.

To me, the whole "men are the enemy" label for feminism seems to be an attempt to discredit it as fanaticism and lunacy.

I think some feminists are fanatics and lunatics. This is not a criticism of feminism. Some Republicans are fanatics and lunatics. Every political movement draws fanatics and lunatics. And when you get caught up in a political movement, and you get upset, even normal people can do crazy things. For example, at an Ivy league university several years ago, a woman's studies class passed around fliers with men's pictures on them. Under the pictures were the words "Potential Rapist." This sort of thing is bad, in my opinion.

Examples such as that one are collected in a book, Who Stole Feminism?, which is a fascinating and scary read. And, of course, the author of the book was denounced as a "right-winger" by other feminist groups. So you have a bunch of "feminists" telling another "feminist" that she's "not a feminist." And of course in her book she charged other "feminists" with not being "real" feminists.

Camile Paglia defines herself as a feminist, and a lot of other feminists despise her. I love Paglia, she's provocative and interesting.

I don't think Thelma and Louise was made by fanatics and lunatics. But it is an angry, political, and feminist film. IMHO, of course.

Taylor

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17694 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 9:58 PM
Recommendations: 4
If we're going to bring that whore Camille Paglia into what is already a staggeringly misinformed pop psychology discussion of feminism, I'm going to have to shoot you all in the face and blow up your truck.

That is all.

redsavina

Author: TheNationalDebt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17696 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/28/2002 11:34 PM
If we're going to bring that whore Camille Paglia into what is already a staggeringly misinformed pop psychology discussion of feminism, I'm going to have to shoot you all in the face and blow up your truck.

We're all waiting to be informed what feminism really is, since you are the only one who really knows. Maybe you could enlighten us?

Author: AngryCandy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17698 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 12:18 AM
Recommendations: 9
<<Maybe you could enlighten us?>>

Feminism is always having to say you're sorry.

(if you're a man)

-chris

Author: jh21045 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17700 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 12:31 AM
Ridley Scott made G.I. Jane, which is another feminist film, and there is no anti-male agenda in that work.

GI Jane is a feminist film? Really? How is the notion that a chick has what it takes to cut it in the military in any way a radical feminist notion? Seriously. Haven't we come further than this? Don't we know that there are some chicks who would make better soldiers than some guys? For example, it's pretty easy to imagine a woman who would make a better soldier than I would. The movie even points out a few, in the selection scene where the people choosing the female candidate pass over the tough butch chicks and pick the cute one.

Jane, like virtually all of Scott's movies, is about isolation and in this case the rites of passage for an outsider joining a community. The script would read largely the same if she were a black male and the regiment were an all-white regiment from the 50s. (Except a couple of lines wouldn't be as cool, notably "Sergeant-Major, suck my ****!") The feminist coloring of the movie is largely superficial, and only enough to make it topical. To their credit, Scott and Demi make it a stronger movie by playing it straight and not to any feminist manifesto.

Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17707 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 4:42 AM
GI Jane is a feminist film?

Yes.

Really?

Yes.

How is the notion that a chick has what it takes to cut it in the military in any way a radical feminist notion?

Because the military is institutionally dominated by males where the emphasis is on physical ability and the average man is endowed with a biological headstart. Because Demi Moore's character has to have a mentally tough female Senator to back her, politically--to get her on the list for the specialized combat training she wants to do. Because she can only last in that masculine world as long as that political support remains and her physical strength endures.

Seriously. Haven't we come further than this?

No, this is pretty much where we are.

'Basic training floors female army recruits' (January 1999)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_245000/245450.stm

'Thatcher: front line place for women' (March 2001)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1197000/1197916.stm

'Commando course woman quits' (April 2001)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1298000/1298514.stm

Don't we know that there are some chicks who would make better soldiers than some guys? For example, it's pretty easy to imagine a woman who would make a better soldier than I would.

I dare say. With modern weaponry, there are plenty of women capable of fighting for their country.

'Woman bomber attacks Jerusalem' (January 2002)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1784000/1784941.stm

However, GI Jane is not just about being a soldier. It's about a woman who wants to become a Navy SEAL. That's a whole different ballgame. Her intelligence is mentioned in the screenplay because she can more than compete with the guys on that level. However, being a commando requires peak physical fitness, strength and stamina, as well as the mental toughness to endure in hostile conditions.

The movie even points out a few, in the selection scene where the people choosing the female candidate pass over the tough butch chicks and pick the cute one.

They were looking for a covergirl type to appear in the media and score political points. The back story of GI Jane is all about the politics, not about her abilities as a soldier.

Ascalon

Author: FalstaffFool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17713 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 11:38 AM
I've always preferred to think of movies from a flexible perspective rather than pigeon-hole it into a category like "feminist film." I think every film should be able to stand on its own as a piece of art that entertains, teaches, inspires, and so on. Even though a film may fit one or more categories (drama, action thriller, comedy, revenge story, love story, social commentary, etc.) I don't care that much about those categories.

As I understand feminism in the purest sense, it is about women living as equals with men in society, free to realize their full potential to the extent of their abilities and effort they are willing to expend. Somewhere in there are issues related to shared responsibility to raise children and keep a home, equal pay for equal work, etc.

I haven't seen Panic Room, but it sounds pretty empty to me, so I'll skip it. Charlies Angels was a lot of fun, and worked quite well as a fantasy/spy type film, sharing space with the James Bond films. Imagine a woman in Afghanistan seing this movie. I'm always surprised at how people in other countries often believe the stereotypes found in American films. While the veiled women opressed in other countries might not get an accurate picture of women from Charlies Angels (similarly unrealistic as Bond in the Bond films), they sure might wish they lived over here after watching it. So yeah, I guess it is a feminist film.

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17718 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 3:07 PM
We're all waiting to be informed what feminism really is, since you are the only one who really knows. Maybe you could enlighten us?

What good would that do you? I'm in your penalty box, remember?

Author: TheNationalDebt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17721 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 5:29 PM
war: We're all waiting to be informed what feminism really is, since you are the only one who really knows. Maybe you could enlighten us?

red: What good would that do you? I'm in your penalty box, remember?

Yeah, but I haven't had it turned on since 6 told me about all the smack she talks about [someposter] behind his back.

The question was genuine, though. What is feminism? Your appeals to a higher authority would earn you an F in debate.

War,

...still cracking up about that little orphan Annie bit.

Author: TheNationalDebt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17722 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 5:35 PM
I haven't seen Panic Room, but it sounds pretty empty to me, so I'll skip it. Charlies Angels was a lot of fun, and worked quite well as a fantasy/spy type film, sharing space with the James Bond films.

Yeah, Panic Room can't hold a candle to Charlie's Angels. Jeesh!

It's funny because Chris's criticism of Panic Room could easily be applied to his favorite film, Blair Witch Project.

What do you want to do?

Let's go this way!

No, let's go this way.

We went that way.

No we went that way.

What was that?

I didn't hear nothing.

No, I did.

Nothing is happening!

That's because we don't have a script!

Oh yeah, what do you want to say?

Where the hell did he go?

OH MY GOD!!!

>cut<

Author: AngryCandy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17724 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/29/2002 6:58 PM
<<It's funny because Chris's criticism of Panic Room could easily be applied to his favorite film, Blair Witch Project.>>

The best prize I brought back from my trip to the Virginia battlefields last month is a picture of the sign saying "Welcome to the historic village of Burkittsville." I had tried to find it two years ago from Antietam but it was impossible. Burkitsville really is a village - just one street that extends about a mile. The town is literally one block wide.

I knew you'd be jealous to hear. :)

-chris

Author: HCourtney Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17731 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/30/2002 9:10 AM
Recommendations: 6
Kewl. I just had my first message deleted by TMF. And that was 'cause I quoted somebody else.

I guess this also means I lose those 4 recs in my rec/post ratio. Well now, doesn't that just put a crimp in my morn...

Harold

Author: Jahford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17732 of 63108
Subject: Re: Feminism 101: Charlie's Angels vs. Panic Ro Date: 5/30/2002 5:18 PM
I guess this also means I lose those 4 recs in my rec/post ratio. Well now, doesn't that just put a crimp in my morn...

I don't think you do.
The Rec/Post includes pulled posts
for a reason that has continued to elude me

James

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement