Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

You still have plenty of time to make amends, so to speak. You can either:
1. adjust your federal withholdings amount in your paycheck for the remainder of the year,
2. or you can begin paying estimated taxes.

First step will be to come up with a rough idea of just how much in the way of additional taxes you will owe. Then go from there.

You can avoid penalties by ensuring you have withheld an amount:
1. equal to 90% of this year's tax,
2. equal to 100% of last year's tax (if AGI > $150k, its' 110%), or
3. paying installments under the annualized installment method.

Since you've indicated that this year's tax will be substantially higher than last year's, and I'm assuming you don't want to write a huge check on 4/15/00, I'd shoot for the 90% of this year's tax. Key is get started on it now and get it accomplished by 01/15/00.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.