UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Re: Roll-Over 401K to IRA? Date: 10/16/2007 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
FFL: I was wiped out financially during the dot com bust. My 401k was all in company stock that went from a peak value of over 800K to zero. I am 46 years old and now have gotten back on my feet, but still behind the retirement investment power curve. I recently changed jobs and have 50k to roll-over to either an IRA or an employer 401k. I am currently contributing to my new employer 401k but need some feedback concerning investment options of the roll-over from my previous company. I am leaning toward a roll-over to an IRA and diversifying it myself. My questions are as follows:

1. Roll-over to an IRA or to new company's 401k (current investment returned 17% last year).
2. If I roll to an IRA, given that I am 46 years old, what would be the best way to diversify it given I plan to retire in 20 years.
3. I currently utilize TD Ameritrade as my discount broker. Any recommendations for alternatives?

I am no investment pro by a long shot. I do need to take on some additional risk to catch up. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

By all means, roll the 401K over into an IRA. I recommend one of Vanguard's Index funds. My favorite is the Extended Market Index Fund, but they have a large array of Index funds. Their web site is a good place to start.

http://www.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw/CorporatePortal

Go to the personal investor's link.

The 401K likely has some hidden fees. You may not even be aware to them. Maintaining a 401K costs money, obvioulsy, and that cost usually is passed on to the employees. The other reason is that you have a limited investment capability in a 401K comnpared to an IRA.

BTW, you still have plenty of time. I was in your position, only I was ten years older. I suggest you (and your wife) start an aggressive savings plan, including maxing out any 401K's, IA's, SEP IRA's, or whatever. Then invest more in taxable accounts. Skip the new car or the expensive vacation for now. Get that retirement ortfolio a bit more robust first.

cliff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement