UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: FICO = 0 Date: 2/22/2014 10:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I found an article on NBC regarding people who have no credit score. None. They pay cash for their cars, they've either paid off the house or they rent, they don't have credit cards, and the most they use is a debit card. They have removed themselves completely the credit race. Some of them have been through bankruptcy or struggled with debt and want no part of it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/personal-finance/life-credit...

And some comments from people who like the idea or reject it. I think some people might feel threatened by the idea of not having credit. We're accustomed to having it, and being told we have to have it. Definitely a different idea, but not one I feel I need to practice.

http://business.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/02/22/22832663-proud-...

Nancy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307906 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/22/2014 11:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I don't see what the big deal is. It's quite possible to be debt free, still have credit cards AND a FICO score north of 800.

It took us a while to get used to the idea, but we even pay for groceries with a CC. The second thing that gets done when we get home is that the bill is paid off in full (the first is putting the groceries away). For all practical purposes, we're on a cash basis. EVERYTHING charge we make is paid in full within 48 hours. We don't make a single payment a month, but multiple ones. Electronic banking allows you to do that. You couldn't do that 30 years ago.

It sounds like some of the people were "creditoholics" who have to deal with credit the way a recovering alcoholic deals with alcohol - avoid it altogether. If you've had credit cards for decades and never paid a lick of interest, you're probably not addicted.

Oh, in case you're wondering why not just go cash only? Well, there is a little matter of enough reward points for a free ticket from the West Coast to London. The second ticket will be put on the CC and the charge will immediately be paid off.

Churchy

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307907 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 12:56 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. It's quite possible to be debt free, still have credit cards AND a FICO score north of 800.

That's how I live, and so do many others. What I thought interesting was the idea of living without any kind of credit whatsoever. No cards, no car loan, no mortgage. Nothing. I regard credit cards as a way of avoiding carrying large amounts of cash around with me.

It sounds like some of the people were "creditoholics" who have to deal with credit the way a recovering alcoholic deals with alcohol - avoid it altogether. If you've had credit cards for decades and never paid a lick of interest, you're probably not addicted.

Years ago I was visiting a friend. She was staying with her mother while the mother recovered from hip surgery, and I went down to visit. She wanted to buy her son a birthday present, and after she settled on something she discovered that the shop owner didn't accept out-of-state checks. And she didn't have a credit card. So I put it on my credit card and she wrote me a check.

She said she had discovered that she regarded credit cards as "Magic Money." She couldn't use them just to save carrying cash, but lost her head. So she stopped using them.

Agreed : probably many people who do without credit had the same problem. But in some cases it sounded as though people just wanted to live off the radar.

Nancy

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307912 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:03 AM
Recommendations: 3
I know a couple people like this.
No credit, No credit score, No problem...

"off the grid" is how they prefer to regard it, and it takes a fair amount of effort to remain that way, rather than be "barely functional", they are choosing this way of life.
If the boy did not have student loans, he would prefer to be (and remain) in that category.
Especially for people in their early 20s-mid 30s who have an overall distrust of "The System" that has enabled so many to spend beyond their means and cause the banking crises...

peace & anonymous
t

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307914 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:12 AM
Recommendations: 2
she discovered that the shop owner didn't accept out-of-state checks. And she didn't have a credit card. So I put it on my credit card and she wrote me a check. ...

I simply walk away from those merchants and leave the selected item at the counter. -- Simple as that!*

It was a $70.00 item in a major tourist town. If merchants are unwilling to accept a Virginia check in Massachusetts, I don't blame them. They lose too much money as it is from bad checks.

Nancy

Author: Bimmer325 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307915 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:27 AM
I'm in church's camp. Haven't had a checking account in 20 years and don't miss it a bit. Charge it, sit down on Sunday morning and use Billpay to pay it off. Go to the rewards site, select flight, hotel and car and go on vacation for a few days. Or weeks.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307916 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:44 AM
I know a couple people like this.
No credit, No credit score, No problem...
================================

Yep, you know me.

While I do have a cc now, I didn't for many years. I don't use it much now. It's my choice. I don't get a lot of junk mail. I attribute that to the fact that there is little record of what I buy and where I shop.

It might be different if I traveled, but I don't and have no desire to travel.

Jean

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307917 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:47 AM
Recommendations: 8
Especially for people in their early 20s-mid 30s who have an overall distrust of "The System" that has enabled so many to spend beyond their means and cause the banking crises...

How is the "System" at fault because some people failed to act in a responsible manner? There are a lot of people who didn't get caught up in the madness and who didn't spend beyond their means. The "System" also allows adults to buy unlimite amounts of alcoholic beverages, but only a relative few become alcoholics. Does the availablity of booze enable people to become alcoholics? Pf so, how come there are so many who don't?

Blaming the "System" is a handy excuse for personal failure. Sure the "System" is in serious need of reform, but more people need to wise up and admit they were complicit in the "System's" failure, and this definitely includes people who go around telling anyone who will listen that they are victims of the "System".

Churchy

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307919 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 11:43 AM
Recommendations: 0
I simply walk away from those merchants and leave the selected item at the counter. -- Simple as that!

Kahuna, CFA

Nice try, but very few merchants are going to accept an out of state check.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307920 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 11:44 AM
I'm in church's camp. Haven't had a checking account in 20 years and don't miss it a bit. Charge it, sit down on Sunday morning and use Billpay to pay it off.

So what account is the Billpay using?

You probably haven't had checks in 20 years, but you still have a checking account.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307921 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 11:52 AM
I found an article on NBC regarding people who have no credit score. None. They pay cash for their cars, they've either paid off the house or they rent, they don't have credit cards, and the most they use is a debit card. They have removed themselves completely the credit race. Some of them have been through bankruptcy or struggled with debt and want no part of it.

My father never had a credit card or ATM card.

You can live comfortable if you don't travel much. When we traveled, I had credit cards in case of emergency. Traveling without a credit card isn't worth it.

I was happy when my hometown got its first ATM. It meant I didn't have to carry extra cash.

Author: Bimmer325 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307928 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 8:36 PM
Good catch vk. I should have said "have not written" a check. The billpay account is indeed a checking account. Of course, one could just as easily use the mer hants site to initiate the payment which could be drawn from savings account.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307929 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:38 PM
Of course, one could just as easily use the mer hants site to initiate the payment which could be drawn from savings account.

Not a good idea. The feds limit the amount of fee free transactions from a savings account.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307930 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:45 PM
""off the grid" is how they prefer to regard it, and it takes a fair amount of effort to remain that way, rather than be "barely functional", they are choosing this way of life."

I know someone who will not use an EZPass toll transmitter because it can track their location on a toll road. They prefer to keep their locations anonymous.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307931 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:49 PM
"I don't see what the big deal is. It's quite possible to be debt free, still have credit cards AND a FICO score north of 800."

My wife and I both have 800+ FICO scores and have never paid one penny of credit card interest in our entire lives. We always use our cards for purchases only to the extent that we already have cash to pay the bill in full at the end of the month. It isn't that difficult to have an 800+ score.

If we can't afford it for cash, we can't afford it.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307932 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/23/2014 10:58 PM
I know someone who will not use an EZPass toll transmitter because it can track their location on a toll road. They prefer to keep their locations anonymous.

My current phone doesn't have GPS. I need to replace my phone, and I was considering if I would turn off the GPS, but realistically, the government isn't going to care enough to track me.

I can't imagine a worse job than being required to spend everyday listening to other people's phone calls. Work related teleconferences can be worse. There is one teleconference I remember because my first thought after the meeting was that there was no way to get back that hour and a half of my life.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307933 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 12:53 AM

That might not be enough. In Massachusetts they're working on a system where they take a picture of your license plate going through the toll section, and send you a bill for the toll. No EZPass required.

Nancy

Author: nomes79 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307934 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 1:34 AM
I imagine they can do a good enough job with standard cell tower triangulation...

Author: nomes79 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307935 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 1:34 AM
That's how I get billed for tolls in Texas--no EZ pass for me, but they find me easily enough.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307936 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 8:06 AM
Recommendations: 3
"I imagine they can do a good enough job with standard cell tower triangulation... "

That's why I rarely use a cell phone. I have a cheapie Tracfone for emergencies only. In fact, the thing is so old, the text function doesn't work any more, and I've researched the problem on the net which tell me you essentially you can't fix it, you have to buy new.

Author: progmtl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307938 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 1:43 PM
The feds limit the amount of fee free transactions from a savings account.

I always wondered why there is some grand distinction between a "checking" account and a "savings" account? As you point out, there seem to be different laws governing them. Some financial institutions will let you transfer funds to/from "checking" accounts but not "savings" accounts.

Why is this distinction made? There are checking accounts that pay interest. There are savings account that you can write checks against.

-progmtl.

Author: WHOVPLLC One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307941 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 4:42 PM
That might not be enough. In Massachusetts they're working on a system where they take a picture of your license plate going through the toll section, and send you a bill for the toll. No EZPass required.

Nancy
- Windowseat | Date: 2/24/2014 12:53:16 AM | Number: 307940

There used those systems in Illinois three or four decades ago.

WHOVPLLC

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307942 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 5:01 PM
Why is this distinction made? There are checking accounts that pay interest. There are savings account that you can write checks against.

-progmtl.

I don't know. The web is only willing to explain the difference, but not the history.

30 years ago, the distinction was clearer: higher interest rates, limited access, and no fees for saving accounts.

Author: WHOVPLLC One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307943 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 5:27 PM
"The feds limit the amount of fee free transactions from a savings account. - NO CITATION!!!

I always wondered why there is some grand distinction between a "checking" account and a "savings" account? As you point out, there seem to be different laws governing them. Some financial institutions will let you transfer funds to/from "checking" accounts but not "savings" accounts.

-progmtl.
- progmtl | Date: 2/24/2014 1:43:40 PM | Number: 307942

Checking accounts are Demand Deposits<DD> and classified as M1 by the Federal Reserve System<the Fed>. Savings deposits are savings deposits and classified as part of M2 by the Fed.

The full definition of M1 is currency in circulation plus Demand Deposits.

WHOVPLLC

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307944 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/24/2014 6:29 PM
WHOVPLLC,

It is very confusing when you combine parts of multiple posts, add your changes (also in italics), and reference only the last post by number.

As far as the No Citation, the post was a warning about limits and fees associated with a suggestion. If someone wants the details, they should check the terms of their accounts.

I have read where people were assessed significant fees because they assumed there would be no restrictions, and then they whine because their bank wouldn't reverse the "unfair" fees.

Author: BookishFool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307946 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/25/2014 11:22 AM
Recommendations: 5
And by the way, Kahuna, doppels aren't allowed...

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307947 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/25/2014 10:21 PM
What I thought interesting was the idea of living without any kind of credit whatsoever. No cards, no car loan, no mortgage.

They must currently be lucky and not need to go for medical tests - my cardiologist office now requires a credit card on file when you make an appointment for an echogram because you're charged if you cancel less than 24 hours before your appointment.

And if you need surgery, even with insurance the hospital can require you to give them a credit card number before surgery to make sure you can pay for the portion insurance doesn't cover.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307948 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/25/2014 10:26 PM

I used to think like this - but than I realized with my smartphone in my purse, the government can probably track my where abouts even without an EZPass - so I got the EZPass for the convenience.

Obviously if one's going to do something nefarious, you just need to be a little bit better at planning and remember to leave the EZPass transmitter (and your smartphone) at home - or better yet, swap yours out with a neighbor's temporarily - just don't let them see you do it.

I've learned a lot from TV and movies.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307950 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/26/2014 9:27 AM
I've learned a lot from TV and movies.

Not everything in movies is true.

PSU

Author: WHOVPLLC One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307951 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/26/2014 9:30 AM
Nice Baloons PSUEngineer!!!

WHOVPLLC

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307952 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/26/2014 10:58 AM
"Not everything in movies is true."

You mean Flounder didn't really throw up on Dean Wormer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKMuVFz3MOQ

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307953 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/26/2014 11:41 AM
Nice balloons, PSU-E!

Nancy

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307954 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/26/2014 1:37 PM
That might not be enough. In Massachusetts they're working on a system where they take a picture of your license plate going through the toll section, and send you a bill for the toll.

I think they do this in Dallas already. There are also lots of camera's in multiple cities and towns. Privacy is pretty much dead, as far as I'm concerned.

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307955 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/26/2014 10:45 PM
Recommendations: 5
Lea77,

Windowseat wrote, That might not be enough. In Massachusetts they're working on a system where they take a picture of your license plate going through the toll section, and send you a bill for the toll.

To which you replied, I think they do this in Dallas already. There are also lots of camera's in multiple cities and towns. Privacy is pretty much dead, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeap. Good old NTTA. Makes me think of my old home. Parts of North Texas use stoplight cameras as well. Annoying as heck too. They distract you by using a flash as you go thru the intersection - even when the light is still green. I can understand on yellow and red, but a flash on green is asking to create an accident by distracting a driver.

Last time I was there, they hadn't done the Houston system though.

In the Seattle area you have to be careful with the current (3) toll roads/bridges. If you don't at least register your license, they'll send you a fine - not just a bill. When you register, you can either create an account with a tag or just your license number - either way they bill your account, which bills your credit / debit card when it needs to be refreshed. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/tolling/tollrates.htm

As for traffic cameras in the Seattle area, there are plenty. However I think we must have some of the most cautious drivers in the US - at least it seems so at times. With that said, I live in the suburb of Redmond. Redmond authorized a study in 2010/2011. After the study, they terminated the traffic camera contract because the data showed a statistically insignificant reduction in violations and accidents. God it feels good living in a town dominated by nerds! :-)

- Joel

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307956 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/27/2014 12:23 AM
Last time I was there, they hadn't done the Houston system though.

We had them in Houston but there was a referendum on the ballot in 2010 and voters chose to remove them.

http://www.chron.com/cars/article/Houston-voters-reject-red-...

Author: nomes79 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307957 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/27/2014 11:52 AM
I am given to understand that (and I don't have better references and might be completely wrong) the Texas stoplight cameras were considered unconstitutional (disparate fines for same offenses if stopped by cop/caught on camera, challenge issues, etc), and that the contracts could be continued but not renewed...so that they would be phasing out over a period of years...

Might be wrong, though.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307958 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/27/2014 12:57 PM

NC built its first toll road a few years ago. It was designed to not have any toll booths. You either use a transponder (QuickPass) or you will be billed through the mail using a photo of your license plate.

PSU

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307960 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/27/2014 1:26 PM
Yeap. Good old NTTA. Makes me think of my old home. Parts of North Texas use stoplight cameras as well.

All tolls on NTTA are completely automated (no booths) other than the manned booths at the exits of DFW airport, and I believe those are going away shortly as well (new system in place where you use a credit/debit card for entry and exit). If you don't have a TollTag (same ting as an EZPass/IPass/whatever the name of the transponder thingies are in whatever state you're in) then yes, they take a pic of your license plate and will track you down and bill you (although NTTA's billing of tolls in that manner can be a bit haphazard - many people have complained about no tolls at all for awhile then suddenly a bill surfaces for tolls and penalties.)

Red light cameras are all over DFW, but many of the newer ones don't have the "flash" that Joel talks about. And yes, they exist for revenue rather than for "safety", although the latter makes for a nice rationalization.

-synchronicity, reluctant DFW inhabitant

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307961 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/27/2014 1:31 PM
Not to put a damper on this incredibly paranoid discussion, but can we get back to consumer credit and debt here?

Fuskie
Who is sure there is a better board for the discussion of off-the-grid living...

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307967 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 2/28/2014 8:46 PM
I am given to understand that (and I don't have better references and might be completely wrong) the Texas stoplight cameras were considered unconstitutional (disparate fines for same offenses if stopped by cop/caught on camera, challenge issues, etc), and that the contracts could be continued but not renewed...so that they would be phasing out over a period of years...

The contract in our TX town was cancelled just a couple of months after the cameras were put in. The biggest issue for us was that there was no police officer monitoring the cameras, and you had to pay the fine before you could challenged it. Needless to say, that was challenged on due process grounds and we voted the cameras out almost as soon as they were brought in.

LWW

Author: ed1007 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307981 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/3/2014 1:15 PM
>>>She said she had discovered that she regarded credit cards as "Magic Money." She couldn't use them just to save carrying cash, but lost her head. So she stopped using them<<<

And I have found that I am just he opposite. If there is cash in my wallet it is "free" money I just spend it without thinking. After all it never shows up on a downloaded credit card statement or as a transaction on my bank account that I will have to categorize and reconcile with my budget.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307982 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/3/2014 2:10 PM
And I have found that I am just he opposite. If there is cash in my wallet it is "free" money I just spend it without thinking. After all it never shows up on a downloaded credit card statement or as a transaction on my bank account that I will have to categorize and reconcile with my budget.

Different people, different thinking, both causing problems. I keep a spending chart that shows everything I spend money on, including cash. It lists all the credit card transactions, but it doesn't show paying the credit cards, because that goes on Quicken to balance my checking account.

Nancy

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307999 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/4/2014 8:48 PM
MacNugget,

You wrote, We had them in Houston but there was a referendum on the ballot in 2010 and voters chose to remove them.

Sorry for the confusion I created there. I was mixing the cameras at toll roads with the cameras at lights. Last time I was in Houston you guys didn't do automated tolling using a system that looks up your plate - something the NTTA does.

I wasn't aware that Houston had banned stop light cameras though. Good to know!

- Joel

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308000 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/4/2014 8:52 PM
synchronicityII,

You wrote, All tolls on NTTA are completely automated (no booths) other than the manned booths at the exits of DFW airport, and I believe those are going away shortly as well (new system in place where you use a credit/debit card for entry and exit). ...

Last time I checked, those booths were owned and managed by the airport. Their ability to bill your tolltag was based on some reciprocal agreement DFW had with the NTTA. Good to hear that DFW might be removing those booths - they're a nuisance.

- Joel

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308002 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/5/2014 12:30 AM
Just to be clear, there will still be gates you have to stop at to enter DFW and pay a toll when you exit, but the lanes will be unmanned. There will instead be little machines you shove your credit card in (if you don't have a tolltag) or you'll just stop for a second or two until the machine reads your tag and the gate rises up. So it won't be like the toll lanes on the tollways where you just drive on by without even slowing down and the overhead camera automatically reads your license plate.

My wife works at DFW, and the fact it costs a buck every time I take her to work and another buck to pick her up is a bit annoying. But hey, cheap housing!

-synchronicity

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308008 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/5/2014 4:06 PM
Synchrocity, there is a back way into DFW airport from 121 just south of the 114 intersection that costs nothing. . .

Chili

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308010 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/5/2014 6:21 PM
Chili, when was the last time you went that way into DFW airport to pick up/drop off anyone? I'm asking because they've done a total reworking of that area (the "northgate" project" over the last three years (it's technically "done", although they still have to officially open the managed toll lanes on 121).

Feel free to SEC me if you want, but I'm almost positive that that bit was closed off with this project.

-synchronicity, has gone into DFW from various ways at the north end (and sometimes from the south) more often than most native Dallasites. Not that I'm saying this is a GOOD thing, mind you.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308017 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/6/2014 10:34 AM
It's Mustang Drive (aka N. Airfield Dr. inside the airport)that goes west to 26 (Ira E. Woods Ave.), not 121 (sorry) accessed adjacent to the north long-term parking lot.

Just looked at the map and it doesn't appear to be inaccessible but, you are correct, it has been awhile since I actually used it.

Chili

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308018 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/6/2014 12:40 PM
It's Mustang Drive (aka N. Airfield Dr. inside the airport)that goes west to 26 (Ira E. Woods Ave.), not 121 (sorry) accessed adjacent to the north long-term parking lot.

Just looked at the map and it doesn't appear to be inaccessible but, you are correct, it has been awhile since I actually used it.

Yeah, I've done that and thought that might have been what you were talking about. Sadly it no longer works, but I believe it may still have worked when I first arrived down here, so it's been a fairly recent change (again, tied to the extensive Northgate/"DFW Connector" project).

I probably shouldn't gripe, as my wife can park for free at the employee parking and take a shuttle bus (she will often take Mustang Drive to the access road and over to her parking, so yes, we know that route well), and the construction has made my commute much easier than it would have been. That 114/121 bottleneck has been greatly relieved, and the exchange with 26 is also far better.

You need to stop by our area again and visit. I believe I owe you some hospitality in exchange for your own!

-synchronicity

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308021 of 308519
Subject: Re: FICO = 0 Date: 3/6/2014 2:46 PM
That 114/121 bottleneck has been greatly relieved, and the exchange with 26 is also far better.

'bout d@mn time!

You need to stop by our area again and visit. I believe I owe you some hospitality in exchange for your own!

A plan, indeed, and the invite goes the other direction on I-35, as well.

Chili

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement