No. of Recommendations: 4
I disputed a delinquent account on both my Equifax and TransUnion credit reports. It was an account that actually was delinquent. I didn't have a problem with it being on the report, but I wanted to get the reported dates corrected. Well, both TU and Equifax deleted the account entirely from my credit reports. So, I no longer have any negative accounts on those reports.

So, my Equifax score dropped from 685 to 678. Not a big difference, but it still dropped when a delinquent account was deleted from my report. My TU FICO score went from 704 to 734! I am now in the prime lending range for lenders that pull my TU report and I expect to consolidate my private educational loans through WellsFargo which pulls TU reports.

Now, my top negative factors for TransUnion are below:

1) You have a relatively high number of accounts with balances - I have 18 accounts with balances above $0. Of those 18 accounts, 15 are student loans. Of those 15, 9 have been consolidated as of 6 days ago and the other 6 accounts will be consolidated together fairly shortly as well. This should be off the top negative factors in a few months.

2) The portion of balances to credit limits (high credit) on your revolving/charge accounts is too high - I have 35% of my available credit used. I have about $8K in debt right now and I will be down closer to about $6K in debt in about 5 weeks. This is getting worked on.

I am working on the above negative factors. I know that even if I do things to get rid of these factors that they may still be there.

But the point of this thread is to point out the many crazy ways your FICO can be affected. One score dropped 8 points while another went up 30 points when a delinquency was deleted.

Overall, it feels great with something positive happens and I know that it will get more positive in the future because I am working hard to develop good habits and to pay cash instead of credit just like Ramsees was talking about earlier.

Eric
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement