Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dielikadog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25247  
Subject: Fidelity Date: 1/11/2003 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone have Fidelity for their 401k? Just curious as to what funds you've picked...

my funds:
Magellan
Low Priced Stock
Spartan US EQ Index

sd
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15715 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/11/2003 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have had Fidelity 401K for years, IRA a few years, and brokerage account a few months.

I have mostly Magellan but am slowly switching to Spartan US EQ Index. Their NAVs track the S&P 500 almost perfectly, but Magellan has higher expense ratio and sometimes loads. In the long term past, Magellan easily beat the indexes, but recently its been an expensive index fund.

I also have Fidelity Select Technology and have owned various of their bond funds over the years.

I've always found the a great company to work with. Good products. Not the cheapest, but quality. Excellent service and offices in major cities where you can meet face to face if you want to.

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15716 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/11/2003 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
Does anyone have Fidelity for their 401k? Just curious as to what funds you've picked...

I transferred my IRA to Fidelity about 11 years ago. About seven years ago, my company added Fidelity to their own 401k funds. The biggest chuck of my dough is in a super-low fee S&P500 index. I also have Fidelity Low Priced Stock (Small Cap Value), Small Cap Independence (Small Cap Growth), Contra (Large Cap 'Core'), OTC (Large Cap Growth), and Diversified International (International). There's some in Asset Manager, which is a hybrid stock/bond/cash fund; however I'm going to move out of there into whatever is the next compelling buy (within my target asset allocation considering the above funds). I also have a little cash, but went stock-heavy last September.

Fidelity Low Priced Stock is growing so much that they're having a harder time buying small stocks, so it's drifting into a Mid Cap Value mode. The last "Wall Street Journal" quarterly report had Contra listed as a Large Cap Growth fund, so it's also getting some 'style drift.'

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15717 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/12/2003 12:52 PM
Congrats on those Balloons, Breeze. Have a Foolish anniversary!!

Fool on!!

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15720 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/12/2003 4:57 PM
Dielikadog,
yes.
my new 401k offers:
govt money market //managed income portfolio //balanced income fund
intermediate bond fund--//puritan
equity income 2-- /growth and income2
spartan equity income index--// contra fund
growth comany fund-//Magellan-//OTC portfolio
diverse international fund
overseas fund //asset manager
fidelity freedom income-
freedom 2000-/-2010-//-2020-//-2030
INVESCO equity income
franklin small cap growth --
PIMCO total return-
Dryfus founders discovery fund

but while there are a lot of choices, the majority are Large Cap which does not fit with the rest of my portfolio. this is a standard package offered from Fidelity. i am not happy with the diversification of the choices, but i have nothing against Fidelity. most of the loads are waived because it is a company account

i chose Contra, Franklin SmMid cap growth, Founders Discovery, Fidelity diverse international, and Pimco bond funds.

jC

Author: Hyperborea Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15722 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/13/2003 9:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yeah, unfortunately I do have Fidelity as my company's 401k provider. The only decent option there was the Spartan US Equity Index. It doesn't have a large percentage of my investments (yes I put the max in but I've only been at this job for ~2 years). I balance it out with our IRAs and our taxable investment account at Vanguard.

Hyperborea

Author: cswiii Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15723 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/14/2003 3:26 AM
They just modified our Fidelity plan, giving us a whole lot more fund options; I actually reallocated mine in the past few days to take advantage of this.

Here's what I have in mine so far... the majority of my 401k is in DODGX and OAKLX, for my large- and mid-cap portions, respectively. I then have a smidgen in FLPSX, and for international exposure, I have AEPGX.

I then have a bit leftover in the MM and a chunk in FBIDX, too.

I am no expert. My 401k is probably even a little too conservative for someone at my age (mid 20s), but I am working the kinks out.

You may not have some/any/all of these in your plans. The plans I've seen mentioned above look very similar to the one I used to have, before they updated ours.

Good luck!
-cswiii

Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15724 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/14/2003 10:35 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I do have Fidelity as my company's 401k provider.

It is not Fidelity that is the problem, but the level of 401K that your company is willing to provide. My 401K with Fidelity has a dozen core funds and over a hundred public funds to choose from. For me they provide great service, but that is probably because my company negotiated that into the plan agreement.

Author: Hyperborea Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15725 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/14/2003 11:28 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I do have Fidelity as my company's 401k provider.
-------

It is not Fidelity that is the problem, but the level of 401K that your company is willing to provide. My 401K with Fidelity has a dozen core funds and over a hundred public funds to choose from. For me they provide great service, but that is probably because my company negotiated that into the plan agreement.

We too have something on the order of a dozen "core funds" and the brokerage option (big expenses to use that) and good service though I've never really needed them for much. The funds they offer however are essentially all managed funds except for the solitary index fund and the fee percentage on it is no bargain. Fidelity pretty much rides on the coat tails of the random chance that brought Peter Lynch his success (i.e. somebody has to win).

I would be much happier if my 401k were with Vanguard but that's ok when I move on to the next job the funds will then be moved to Vanguard.

Hyperborea

Author: splotto Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15771 of 25247
Subject: Re: Fidelity Date: 1/26/2003 10:01 AM
D:

Fidelity handles our 401k. I use the Spartan Equity Index and the Bond Index.

Splotto

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement