No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a 401k account from my previous employer that is managed by Fidelity. I want to roll that 401k over into a Vanguard IRA account. After speaking to someone from Fidelity they said the only way they could do the transfer was by cutting me a check, which Vanguard said should be made out to Vanguard FTC. Is there really no way for Fidelity to do this electronically without me receiving a check?

I ask this for two reasons:
1) After a lot of reading I am just apprehensive about getting stuck paying tax on the rollover amount. As far as I know, I should be ok since the check is not being made out to me, but to Vanguard FTC. Please confirm this.

2) I read some articles on TMF that say you can do a trustee to trustee transfer electronically and I'm surprised that Fidelity wouldn't allow this.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.