Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25275  
Subject: Re: Armchair advisors: Review my 401k Date: 11/13/2002 6:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fidelity Balanced - 31%

If you really want to be agressive, consider dropping or reducing this. Personally, I do not linke balanced funds because I think they have an identity crisis. Their growth tends to be consistent because either bonds or stocks usually take the lead. But they don't perform an any direction well since one often cancels out the other.

First of all, I would reduce your bond component to 10-20%. At your age, some might even suggest 100% stocks, but I am not one of them. Find your comfort zone and settle in.

Second, growth and income funds sometimes have that same schitzoid complex - what is their purpose, to grow share price or earn dividend income? The last few years have not shown much growth potential, but the market may be turning around (or not). On the other hand, reinvested dividends increase your base tax free and can help you accumulate more shares now that will take advantage of better growth later.

Personally, I like Fidelity's Low PR Stock fund. I have divided into small, medium and large cap (primarily small and large), and in the last year it seems that small cap has outperformed large cap, but that could always change.

The best recommendation I can give is to use Fidelity's on-line tools (they are very good) to establish your retirement goals and develop an investment strategy. Then use the Foolish material here to learn how to evaluate mutual funds, research the funds Fidelity offers, and make the best choices for you.

My Fidelity 401K has lost value, but not nearly as bad as my Roth and taxable investments so I must have done something right there.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement