Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Taxes on Company Options Date: 11/16/2013 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Fidelity has the option grant in an option account.

OK. Most companies use a broker for that.

I tell them to exercise the option at current market.

To exercise the option means to buy the stock. If that is all you tell the broker, then you will end up with stock in your account instead of options - plus the broker will ask you how you intend to pay the exercise price.

I suspect what you are really telling the broker to do is to exercise the options and immediately sell the stock. The broker would then use the sale proceeds from the stock to pay the exercise price.

I indicate what fed and state taxes to take out.

That confirms to me that you're exercising and immediately selling. If you exercise and hold, there is no need to withhold taxes.

I get the difference between the grant price less the taxes.

That also tells me you are doing an exercise and sale.

That is what has been happening. I never buy the stock.

Technically, you ARE buying the stock. It's just that you're also immediately selling it. You exercise the option and buy the stock, then sell the stock right away.

That leads to two transactions. The exercise of the option is not actually a taxable event. The taxable event is selling the stock. Because this stock was acquired through an employee stock option, tax law deems the income to be ordinary wage income rather than a capital gain.

The only exception would be for a sale of stock acquired in a qualified Incentive Stock Option when the stock is held for at least a year before sale AND the sale date is at least 2 years after the option grant date.

Also, these are long term options of over a year.

That is irrelevant. Stock options are almost always short term transactions. Besides, you have an employee stock option which can't be sold. The only thing you can do with an employee stock option is exercise it or let it expire.

Bottom line: Your employee stock option exercise and same day sale will be ordinary wage income, not a long term capital gain.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement