No. of Recommendations: 0
Article is a review of sorts on the attack of public unions....in the case of the Florida bill, they won't have any teachers in some schools after one year. A teacher cannot change a whole society, a family, students who have been passed on year after year without knowing enough....

My daughter is a teacher; I wish she had stayed in horticulture now; I think she would have an easier time and probably a better chance at keeping a job without so much work/hassle.
------------------------
Fierce attacks leave public workers stinging
Some reconsider careers as lawmakers target union pay, benefits

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42329275/ns/business-careers/

• In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott recently signed into law a bill that limits teachers to one-year contracts and bases merit pay in part on how much improvement students show.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 7
In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott recently signed into law a bill that limits teachers to one-year contracts and bases merit pay in part on how much improvement students show.

When my son teaches the bright kids, they show lots of improvement. When he teaches average kids, they show average improvement. When he teaches slow kids, they show little improvement (which is why they are labeled "slow": they're slower to learn new things and less able to retain previous learning). So he'd be at the whim of administration in his assignments in terms of merit pay or even keeping his job. And this is why teachers' unions oppose merit pay: there isn't an equitable way to measure teacher merit.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"My daughter is a teacher; I wish she had stayed in horticulture now; I think she would have an easier time and probably a better chance at keeping a job without so much work/hassle. My daughter is a teacher; I wish she had stayed in horticulture now; I think she would have an easier time and probably a better chance at keeping a job without so much work/hassle. "

Many other people in 'formerly safe' occupations are also discovering they have to work harder, keep up with the latest technology and information, and put in the hours. From oil workers (laid off by the tens of thousands thanks to Obama and all his moratoriums and outright bans), to engineers and technicians, machinists, auto workers, etc.

t.
In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott recently signed into law a bill that limits teachers to one-year contracts and bases merit pay in part on how much improvement students show.

When my son teaches the bright kids, they show lots of improvement. When he teaches average kids, they show average improvement. When he teaches slow kids, they show little improvement (which is why they are labeled "slow": they're slower to learn new things and less able to retain previous learning). So he'd be at the whim of administration in his assignments in terms of merit pay or even keeping his job. And this is why teachers' unions oppose merit pay: there isn't an equitable way to measure teacher merit.
-------------------------
and guess who my daughter teaches? she teaches special education and they have the same rules....oh, and her first special education teaching--HS math & English which she did not major in. Her special education students are in the same classes as all the others and have to learn the same things. It makes no sense to me.
No. of Recommendations: 4
From oil workers (laid off by the tens of thousands thanks to Obama and all his moratoriums and outright bans)

Luckily, nobody was laid off during the Bush administration <eyeroll>.
<<And this is why teachers' unions oppose merit pay: there isn't an equitable way to measure teacher merit. >>

Well, there are, but teacher unions don't trust Principals and other teaching professionals to make professional judgments about competence and merit, not without reason.

But vacuuming merit and competence out of evaluating teachers isn't an adequate answer either.

How teachers are evaluated in public schools is a political question. The public can insist that teachers be evaluated on competence and merit by Principals and such if the public wishes.

But in recent decades teacher unions have opposed this and usually been able to impose their values. But it needn't be that way.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 5
From oil workers (laid off by the tens of thousands thanks to Obama and all his moratoriums and outright bans)
------------
Don't care who said above....if only they actually didn't just spout a bunch of nonsense from the right.
Nothing is as simple as it seems, especially a right wing talking point. It seems that the free market
which the above poster probably believes in but doesn't know anything about, is alive and well. Oh, and too bad
there might be sensible safety and environmental considerations....we should be like China and not give a rat's a$$.

Here's the real story --
http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/31/why-arent-oil-c...
Obama Study: Oil Cos Not Drilling Where They Can <snips, there's a lot more to this story at the link>

Something serious happened this month to the cultural “drill baby drill” meme. In short, March was the month it became irrelevant. A new Department of Interior study debunks the myth that the US is not opening up ample land for oil and gas exploration.

If you want to know why the country is not drilling for oil in the US, ask an oil company.
The number of rigs drilling for oil and natural gas in the Gulf of Mexico has been in decline since 1997 for a variety of reasons, including lifting costs — which is the cost of pulling crude out of the ground — oil price, world demand, and better opportunities to drill in other parts of the world, like West Africa, or coastal Brazil. These are trends the White House cannot control.
In 2001, Bush’s first year in office, there were 148 rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. By the time he left office in 2008, there were 63. They declined year over year, and in the last two years of the Obama administration, the Gulf rig count has dropped to 31, it’s lowest number if more than 40 years. Some wells get depleted. Others are abandoned. Some companies find better deals abroad. That’s the business, it seems.
In the end, Palin’s call for more drilling may have to be redirected, not towards the White House, but towards the oil companies who — according to the DoI’s report to the president this month — have ample land being offered them.
"The number of rigs drilling for oil and natural gas in the Gulf of Mexico has been in decline since 1997 for a variety of reasons, including lifting costs — which is the cost of pulling crude out of the ground — oil price, world demand, and better opportunities to drill in other parts of the world, like West Africa, or coastal Brazil. These are trends the White House cannot control.
..............."

Actually, it can. If companies drill and find oil here, they pay large taxes here...... tens of billions.

Most oil companies will likely relocate outside the US in the future.

The main oil remaining in the gulf is in REALLY deep water that is very expensive.

The lib dems keep talking of taking away the depreciation and other intangible costs, making those deep wells barely profitable, and those wells are half billion dollar type wells, with 300 million platforms.....

Why bother when you get better deals?

When you go buy an appliance at the store, you don't bother to chech how many union folks in KY built it. You check Consumer Report, and likely buy the best rated best deal you can find. If it comes from overseas, great..and even if 'manufactured' here, likely half the parts or more are from overseas.

Oil companies will invest their capital where it makes sense and the TAX rules are favorable.

The land the US offers is in REALLY DEEP REALLY EXPENsive waters or in areas with not much of a record, if any, in finding oil.

It does no good to lease marginal land leases until oil is $200/bbl...then it makes sense to drill.

Oh, the lib whine.

t.
How teachers are evaluated in public schools is a political question.

It shouldn't be. Should evaluating public utility workers be a political question too?

The public can insist that teachers be evaluated on competence and merit by Principals and such if the public wishes.

Principals aren't particularly good at evaluating teacher competence. Like others in management, they're mostly good at determining who they like to be around.

My son is in a very good district, but his principal has had time to observe him something like twice in 10 years, for about 15 minutes a shot. His department chair is also a science teacher (at the high school, not in his school) and has observed him twice as well.

Alstro's prediction:

Some Republican (Neil Bush?) will establish a company to evaluate teachers--at great expense to school districts and including factors like supporting the Christianity of the founding fathers, supporting laissez-faire capitalism, and so forth. The next GOP administration will replace the Dept of Education with this private company.
No. of Recommendations: 3
<<How teachers are evaluated in public schools is a political question.

It shouldn't be. Should evaluating public utility workers be a political question too?

The public can insist that teachers be evaluated on competence and merit by Principals and such if the public wishes.

Principals aren't particularly good at evaluating teacher competence. Like others in management, they're mostly good at determining who they like to be around.>>

Baloney. Private employers manage to evaluate employees, including a lot of professionals a lot more highly skilled than public school teachers.

Utility employees that are public employees are commonly evaluated in much the same way as those in private employment. And usually public employees can be fired for cause, with unions being able to file grievances and take disputes to arbitration.

There is no reason teachers couldn't be treated equitably in the same way.

Principals who wanted to fire a teacher for bad performance wouldn't be able to do so unless that had evidence an arbitrator found persuasive. And incompetent principal such as the kind you describe would be subject to being fired themselves.

Your post above suggests that principals may be incompetent and not be fired, and that incompetent principals can't evaluate teachers in a competent manner either.

The obvious policy is to make teacher, principals and other school administrators subject to being discharged for cause with unions being able to contest those decisions by going to arbitration.

Seattle Pioneer
Advertisement