Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The IRS assumes that you sell stock on a FIFO basis
if you don't specify which shares to sell to your
broker. How do you specify this, given that I'm
selling shares using a web-based broker?

Actual example:
I have 50 shares of Lucent in certificate form. In order to get some borrowing power to play with, I
deposit this into a brokerage account. I then
daytrade (I know, bad idea) 100 shares of Lucent,
buying and SELLing on the same day. Obviously, my
intention was that the 100 shares I sold are the
same 100 shares that I bought. There is no way
to specify which to sell however, so technically,
I sold the 50 shares I originally deposited, plus
1/2 of the 100 I bought that day. This will really
make complicated that which should not be complicated
at all, given that the original 50 shares I deposited
were there just to augment the borrowing power, and
that they are simply my "long-term" holding shares.
So what should I do if anything?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.