Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Question about designating which shares have been sold from a mutual fund.

I bought additional shares in a mutual fund at the beginning of this year and I now have a better place to put some of that new investment. I want to sell some of the shares but I want to designate that the shares to sell are from the block that I purchased at the beginning of this year rather than the block that I own from prior investments. This will greatly reduce the capital gains taxes. Can I do this? I know you can do this with stocks but I'm not sure if the IRS requires FIFO for mutual fund shares.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.