Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mawhinney Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Figuring a stock split Date: 1/19/2006 5:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm attempting to help a relative figure the cost basis of Chevron shares bought over a number of years. The relative has kept a cost basis tally up until a 2 for 1 split in 2004.

Chevron's site lists a record date and a payable date for the split. Which price do I use?

How does one figure the cost basis at a split?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10303 of 19222
Subject: Re: Figuring a stock split Date: 1/19/2006 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
In figuring cost basis of a split stock the price is irrelevant. Just divide the cost basis before the split by 2 to get the cost basis after the split. He didn't put anymore money into the stock and he didn't gain anything by the split. He just owned twice as many shares worth as much each but the same amount in total.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10304 of 19222
Subject: Re: Figuring a stock split Date: 1/19/2006 5:30 PM
Oops! Typing too fast.
Shares were worth half as much each.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10305 of 19222
Subject: Re: Figuring a stock split Date: 1/19/2006 6:28 PM
I'm attempting to help a relative figure the cost basis of Chevron shares bought over a number of years. The relative has kept a cost basis tally up until a 2 for 1 split in 2004.

As has already been mentioned, just divide the previous per share basis by 2.

Unless the relative has sold everything, you're going to need to do this by block, not in the aggregate. I find the easiest way is to just write on the purchase confirmation "mm/dd/2004 2/1 split," the new number of shares in that block, and the new per-share basis for that block.

Phil

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement