Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: linas100 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Filing a net loss on Sched C Date: 1/25/2005 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have about $1000 of schedule C income from 2004. I am an MD and worked some moonlighting shifts at another hospital. Given all of my licensing fees etc. (>$1000 in 2004), I could report a net loss on sched. C. I could report an even greater loss if I also deduct out some portion of my cell phone, car expenses, etc. I feel that the expenses are legitimate, as they are related to conducting my moonlighting business. I will not, for example, try to deduct home office, as I do not use my office space exclusively for business.

Alternately, I could reduce my sched. C income to some small but >$0 amount, and take some deductions on sched. A (license renewal etc.).

I have heard rumors that reporting a loss on sched. C is a flag for potential audit. How would this board suggest I proceed?

Thanks
B
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement