Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheXRayStyle One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Filing an Amended Return Date: 2/14/2008 9:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings Fools~

This may be an overly simplistic question for the level of expertise on this board, but I'm hoping to get some reassurance that I'm thinking about this correctly. My wife and I thought we were all on top of things and filed our taxes early this year, thinking that we had all the forms we needed. Literally the afternoon after we e-filed, we received an unexpected 1099-MISC which was not included in our reported income. Thus, we accidently overstated the refund we were due. Our return has since been accepted by DC, MN, and the IRS. I know that I need to file amended returns to all three, and that we will need to pay the difference to the IRS and states.

My question is this: assuming we file our amended return by the April 15th deadline and pay the difference we owe, do we face any penalties, interest, or any other punishment? I'm thinking of waiting until mid-March to do this in case we get any other corrected forms in the meanwhile, but is it frowned upon to be holding on to that extra cash we got back that we didn't deserve until I do so? Should I be contacting the IRS and DC/MN Departments of Revenue immediately to let them know what's up? I certainly don't want to do anything illegal or to irk the IRS.

Naturally, I made this mistake the year that I got married, moved between states, and became a full-time student again :-).

Thanks,
~X
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement