Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mstone02 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121477  
Subject: Filing Question Date: 10/26/1999 11:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am in, what I think, an interesting situation. I have a joint e-trade account with my fiance and we just sold some stock. For this filing year, we will still be filing separately as we won't be married until May, 2000. Therefore, how does one handle the capital gains tax reporting? Does just one of us report it, or do we split it? Any help from all out there would be helpful.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: BobStL One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20080 of 121477
Subject: Re: Filing Question Date: 10/26/1999 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
This is where you find out about love :)
Seriously, you say "jointly owned" and hopefully
both Social Security numbers are on your broker's
file. You can split the sale and each report half of the sale and costs etc. If the social security number of one of you is on the 1099, and IF you later get a letter from the IRS, then you can explain whose SS# reported the other half of the sale and hopefully income.

Author: elibort One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20132 of 121477
Subject: Re: Filing Question Date: 10/27/1999 10:25 PM
Don't these lovebirds have the opportunity to attribute the gain to just one of them, if one is in a significantly lower tax bracket than the other?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement