Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: shall77 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Filing status for newlyweds Date: 12/10/1999 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just married in September this year. Our filing status is unclear as we will have been married only three months.
I also wish to establish a Roth and want to maximize the contribution for '99. However, I understand there are potential severe restrictions depending on how we file. For '99 tax year, can we file as singles? Or do we have to file as married whether it be jointly or separately?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22797 of 121061
Subject: Re: Filing status for newlyweds Date: 12/10/1999 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
shall77 askes in part:

Just married in September this year. Our filing status is unclear as we will have been married only three months.

If married in 1999, status is married for all of 1999

I also wish to establish a Roth and want to maximize the contribution for '99. However, I understand there are potential severe restrictions depending on how we file.

Here are 2 links regarding all the intricacies (or most) of Roths:

http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras03.htm & http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras04.htm

HTH

Rick

Author: BladeXrunners One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22831 of 121061
Subject: Re: Filing status for newlyweds Date: 12/10/1999 6:10 PM

Filing status is your marriage status as of Dec 31, 1999 with a number of exceptions. If you're recently widowed, you may file as married. If you're separated and do not live together/share expense for the whole year, then you may file as single.

In your case, your filing status for 1999 is married.

I also wish to establish a Roth and want to maximize the contribution for '99. However, I understand there are potential severe restrictions depending on how we file. For '99 tax year, can we file as singles? Or do we have to file as married whether it be jointly or separately?

See above regarding filing status. You have to file married. If you file married separately, then the phaseout for the Roth start at $0.

Author: sameally One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22839 of 121061
Subject: Re: Filing status for newlyweds Date: 12/10/1999 8:30 PM
Even if your married on the last day of the year (December 31) you are viewed as being married the full year for the tax return. Your not able to file a single in the year of the marriage.

sameally

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement