Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chrisvieira Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Filing Status options Date: 10/22/2000 3:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Roy,

This is my real life case. I want to know what you think my best filing option may be.

I am in the US on an H1-B and file as a resident as I am here for more than 183 days for the year.
Now for the twists. I am getting married to a foreigner on the 30th December. Who did not live with me for the last six months.
Also my parents are US residents on green card status, but they have been in my home country (Trinidad) for the majority of the year. I can verify that their gross is less than $2700 each (retired), and I pay a substantial amount for their maintenance.
Can I file under Head of Household status?
If not what is my best option?

Regards
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement