UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Filling in the blanks ... Date: 9/17/2008 8:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Under "Company Description", I'm gonna take it that Related companies is NOT a list of Competitors. Crekt?

Rich (haywool)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Har1en Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 381 of 597
Subject: Re: Filling in the blanks ... Date: 9/17/2008 8:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I think competitors are important to have in there, but the list should not necessarily be only competitors. For example, Apple is a related company to Dell and Microsoft, and also to Nvidia (sp?), who is a chip manufacturer.

GM, Toyota, Honda are also related to XOM, but I don't know if that's the kind of 'related company' people are looking for. You have to stop at some point, and I think that's where our Foolish wisdom comes in.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 382 of 597
Subject: Re: Filling in the blanks ... Date: 9/17/2008 8:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'd still put competitors under expanded definition.

But you can understand why related company is a more versatile term. In some industries, large players are competitors to everyother player.

But still major competitors in major businesses is certainly of interest. So definition allows space to expand and explain as you think appropriate.

Bottom line is use your own best judgement.

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 383 of 597
Subject: Re: Filling in the blanks ... Date: 9/17/2008 9:16 PM
Recommendations: 0
I agree with both of the responses. pauleckler nailed it with his bottom line: Add in the 5-10 companies you think are most related.

Jeremy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement