Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8993  
Subject: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/11/2004 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
When Jack Nicklaus won in 1986, my grandfather heard how excited I got watching Jack charge the back nine at Augusta. The following Sunday, he took me to the local 9-hole course for the first round of golf I'd ever played. I was 16 and he was 80. He knew he had to share with me the game he loved so much.

I remember how patient he was, watching me slice after slice after slice, swinging like a madman and cursing under my breath at every opportunity :) Patience, he kept telling me. It'll come.

I know my grandfather would have loved to see Phil win today. Patience, it will come. And BOY, did it ever come on 18 at Augusta!

Jack's win had been the most exciting golf I'd ever seen up until today. The back nine, with Phil and Ernie dueling it out, with the colorful backdrop of Choi's eagle from the 11th, and the pair of aces on 16 made this just an unbelievable event. Combine that with Arnold's curtain call and the emotion of Bruce Edward's passing and this was just a Masters for the ages. For me, it ranks up there with Miracle On Ice as one of the most significant sporting events in my lifetime. I'll never forget it.

Thanks to everyone who played in the pool this year. It's always fun.

A big congratulations to DMEYERS8985 who wins our pool this year at a combined -22, riding the backs of Els, Choi, Langer, Garcia, and Couples. Be happy MRSMYERS didn't beat you out! I'll contact you privately for a mailing address for your golf balls. Great job!

Here are all the results and don't forget to come back for our U.S. Open pool in June!
DMYERS8985       -22
bikrdude -18
bguthrey -16
BigChiefFool -12
scratch72 -12
JavaTraveler -10
clearbranch -10
TMFBarmin -9
rcrad -9
arahfool -8
mks222 -8
SEA99 -8
Alchook -8
MRSDMEYERS -7
bigbuks -6
FishTagger -6
Bajhawk -6
ChiTrader -5
Dodgeball -5
TMFBogey -4
mackh -4
carnmar -3
Utgopher -3
Bullpug -3
SixSigmaBB -2
poorboythree -1
TMFQue -1
Melancholia2 0
jhazens 0
severestealth 1
Smytharrio 2
skylanefool 2
TheNajorfDefens 3
rhone1 3
JAFO31 4
vladimer 4
eaglehaslanded 4
CabernetRich 4
mrefranklin 4
re5ley 4
empirechick 4
ramsfanray 4
sean1arch 4
Caesium 5
bdluckyshot 5
GolfinGoldy 6
tholyoke 7
JohnAndLori 8
lorenzo2 8
waymee 11
PopeyesAddict 11
OxBeaux 13
hdkane 13
hodg0914 15
madadd 17
TheNightTrain 22
NewEchota 38
Jhauss CUT
JohnGaltII CUT
n8larson CUT
RAIDERFAN77 CUT
ScottHar1 CUT
Prplvelvet CUT
caddis16 CUT
galagan CUT
TMFAdmiral CUT
Bweaver CUT

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4050 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/11/2004 11:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
PS - TMFAdmiral? You'll notice that the other TMFs were all under par. You'll need to do better next time or we may have to reconsider this whole TMF thing :)

Author: JavaTraveler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4052 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/11/2004 11:30 PM
Recommendations: 0
Bogey,

Thanks for doing all this. I was pleased with my finish. Not bad for my first year in the tourney. Look forward to the U.S. Open.

Charlie

Author: DMYERS8985 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4054 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 6:07 AM
Recommendations: 2
TMFBogey

Thank you for hosting such a fun event. I look forward to the U.S. Open.

MrsDMyers8985 was so HAPPY that Phil won that she didn't care where she finished in the pool.

I also remember Jacks charge in 1986. I was a senior in college. It was a bright beautiful day and I didn't want to go to the library to study for final exams. Being a big golf fan I said I would sit down and watch a half an hour of The Masters before heading off to study. As you might imagine a half an hour turned in to the rest of the final round as I couldn't tear myself away from Jack's back nine charge. Living in Columbus, Ohio Jack was and is like a god when it comes to him golf tournaments. After The Masters I was so pumped up from Jack's win that I went to the library and had some of the most productive studying I had ever had during my college years. To this day I remember fondly that Masters Sunday and the fact that I graduated from college about two weeks after Jacks sixth green jacket.

Sincerely,

DMyers8985

Author: bguthery Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4055 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 8:08 AM
DMyers8985 you suck ;-)

Bguthery (Who can't beat him on the golf course either.)

PS - "You suck!" is considered the highest of complements in our foursome. It usually means you just rolled in a 20 footer to take the hole.

BTW DMyers8985, I'll get you at the US Open!

Author: TMFBarmin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4059 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 10:05 AM
You'll need to do better next time or we may have to reconsider this whole TMF thing :)

Hey Bogey,

Do you want us to post your NCAA Tournament pool results????

:)

Curt

Author: DMYERS8985 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4060 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 10:12 AM
I'm looking forward to it.

At least you beat Mary...................

Author: DMYERS8985 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4061 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 10:17 AM
In my previous post I was replying to BGuthery you suck comment.

We have been good friends and golf buddies for many years.

I forgot to include his message at the top of my reply and just wanted to clarify who I was responding to.

Good luck to all in June at the U.S. Open..............

Dan

Author: TheNajdorfDefens Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4062 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 12:11 PM
Great job, Bogey.

In my office pool, pick 8 players with salary cap, I had Els, Mickelson and Choi...and 3 others who made the cut...and still didn't win. Lost by $19k.

Frustrating.

Naj

Author: RAIDERFAN77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4070 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 3:03 PM
"RAIDERFAN77- CUT"

I can live with that. I know I picked the winner. Watching Sunday might have been the best Masters Sunday I've seen in years (as a whole). No one ran away with it or blew up. The contenders all played smart golf. No one was perfect, but all played well. For a sec, I thought Herr Langer was about to go Nicklaus on us.

When did I think Phil would pull it off? Go back to the 2nd hole yesterday. What did he do? He played an IRON (instead of driver). Old Phil would have gone driver in a sec & thought nothing of it.

I heard some idiot on the radio today saying how Els blew it. That is one of the dumbest statements I've heard. I had to let the host drill him a bit to make sure I heard right. The man shots 67 on day 4 of the Masters. Phil shot 69. What do you want the guy to do? Els hit an incredible shot on #8............the shot is a blind shot to boot. This took PERFECT execution. One pinch off (as we saw with other groups) puts you off the green.

How about KJ Choi? Give him some credit too. I almost went with him, but turned chicken. All the top guys played what might have been the most solid rounds (as a group) that I've seen. He kept it steady the entire round.

Now regarding Phil. I KNEW that this guy would win eventually. I also felt, as I do now, that he'll be dangerous after he gets one. Look at the '99 US Open & the PGA Championship. 2 PERFECT shots made the difference between first & second. Phil didn't "choke" but how do you top what the other guys did (Payne dropped it about 5-6 ft from the cup on 17 and did Toms made his claim w/ a utility wood............on 17th hole). He lost 2 Championships on 2 EXCELLENT golf shots (if you don't agree, tell me I'm wrong). I'll go this far. I'll go on record that he'll get at least one more major & mabye 2 or 3. If he brings that Masters game of the past week to Shinnecock, he's the one to beat.

Author: RAIDERFAN77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4071 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 3:07 PM
"I'll go on record that he'll get at least one more major & mabye 2 or 3. If he brings that Masters game of the past week to Shinnecock, he's the one to beat."

I didn't finish my thought. I think he'll get at least 1 of the next 8 Major. Mabye 2 or 3. I think he and Payne remind me a lot of each other. Both represent talent unreal. Both had their flair. When they both got it, they both became tought to beat.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4072 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/12/2004 3:27 PM
I heard some idiot on the radio today saying how Els blew it.

Well, Els should have used that apple to throw at Phil. If his timing is right, he can mess up the shot that way.

Author: mks222 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4092 of 8993
Subject: Re: Final Results and WOW!!!!!!! Date: 4/13/2004 9:19 AM
Thanks Bogey,

I enjoyed "my" first Masters tremendously. I'll be around for the Open.

Cheers - Markus

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement