Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19348  
Subject: Financial Assistance in Retirement Home Date: 3/28/2000 9:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mother is 85 and lives in another state (PA). She is still in her own home and hopes to stay there, but it is getting more difficult for her to live alone. She does not need to be in a nursing home at this point, but a retirement home where she would get meals and have someone to check on her and see that she takes her medications would be good. There is a nice home in her community and several of her friends have already moved there.

The problem is how to pay for it. I estimate that if she sold her house and car and added that to her current investments, she could live about 8 or 9 years before bankruptcy. Other than investments all she has for income is social security. I know that if she were in a nursing home, state aid would take over once her assets were exhausted. But what happens if she's still in the retirement home? Do they throw her out or is there some aid available?

I'm retired and my budget does not allow me to make up the roughly $20,000/year shortfall. (Having her move in with me is not an option either of us want.)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DoktorDi Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3220 of 19348
Subject: Re: Financial Assistance in Retirement Home Date: 3/28/2000 10:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<My mother is 85...I estimate that if she sold her house and car and added that to her current investments, she could live about 8 or 9 years before bankruptcy. Other than investments all she has for income is social security. I know that if she were in a nursing home, state aid would take over once her assets were exhausted. But what happens if she's still in the retirement home? Do they throw her out or is there some aid available?>>

One figure you don't include is the longevity in your family. 85 + 8 or 9 wouldn't be a bad gamble in my family, but you may be one of those longlived Scandanavians!

Do you know if this nice home in her community has multi-tiered levels of care? That's the best bet for not getting thrown out. Many of them allow you to use part of the equity you put into independent or assisted living into skilled care.

Best wishes. I had a parent in that situation at long distance and it was NO FUN.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement