I'm back again!!Just to recap, I've begun recently looking at houses under 130K. I am eligible for a zero-down FHA loan at 5.99%, but my income is too high to qualify for closing cost assistance. I only have $2500 in savings but have been aggressively working on saving more for my closing costs fund (all of this assumes I actually decide to buy, which is still an open question).Just came back from the meeting to submit documents for the preapproval process. I learned (what I didn't know before) that it is possible to roll closing costs into a home purchase. Instead of offering 5% or so less than asking (typical in this area), I would offer something close to full price but request closing costs (estimated 4-5K) credited back by the seller at closing. In essence, I'd be financing the closing costs by adding them to my mortgage.The immediate advantage of this for me is that I would be able to make an offer on a house even before I've finishing saving the 4-5K closing costs, which I estimate I will have by the end of May or the middle of June. If I do want to make an offer before then, I'll have no choice but to finance the closing costs since I won't be able to afford to pay cash.My question is, if I don't find a house I like before June (which would be ideal according to my timetable anyway), is it to my advantage to finance closing costs even though I could manage (barely) to pay them up front?Advantages that I can see: I'd be able to keep my savings in cash to deal with the million-and-one unexpected costs that I've been told come up when you buy a house. Some of those costs could be handled by the $400 or so I am able to save out of every biweekly paycheck (ie after I finish building the 4-5K fund), but perhaps not all, and I am really trying not to increase my debt. If I pay closing, I will be emptying out every account I have except my retirement plan at work (I can't touch that, by law).Disadvantages that I can see: I wouldn't get the tax benefit of deducting points & prepaid mortgage interest, since those would become part of the principal of my loan -- I would only be able to deduct the interest on the slightly higher loan amount. (I already itemize & have deductions that exceed the standard, so tax considerations rank pretty high with me.) I would potentially owe more than the house is worth, even if only 5K more, and that might leave me upside-down in the mortgage if I have to sell sooner than expected.Does anyone know if it is possible to split the difference -- pay part of the closing costs up front & roll the rest into the loan?Are there other factors I should be taking into consideration? What do you think of the practice of financing closing costs generally? If you've actually read this far, thank you!! All advice is welcome.Tanaquil
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |
BATS data provided in real-time. NYSE, NASDAQ and NYSEMKT data delayed 15 minutes.
Real-Time prices provided by BATS. Market data provided by Interactive Data.
Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings Estimates, Analyst Ra