Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122016  
Subject: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
It's been a sad and lonely year since I lost Rocky the Maltese, and more than three years since I lost Ruffy the Westie and best-dog-ever.

I filled my days as best I could without a furbaby of my own. First of all I volunteered to pet-sit for friends and neighbors, and ended up with a fairly busy spring and summer schedule. I ended up with a few months worth of all sizes of dogs staying at my house when their folks went on vacation, several weeks of cat-sitting for a kitty that stayed at her own home while I visited her twice a day, and one week of chicken-sitting. Whew.

Secondly, I made many hopeful visits to the pound, and came away in tears a couple of times for the almost-but-not-right-for-me furbabies. In every case they were adopted within a day or two, but the act of walking away and leaving them there in jail hurt horribly. I spent many hours on petfinders.com as well, but after a couple of inquiries and immediate rejections realized that many shelters simply were not interested in adopting out-of-state to Alaska. I read regional ads as well, and learned that there are quite a few pet advertising scams/predators, especially on places like Craigslist, who are obvious fakes trying to rip off folks willing to pay to have pets shipped to them. (Some of these were outrageous and infuriating - folks who seemed to be using an English-language translator - and assuming that Southeast Alaska is adjacent to Arkansas so they could "ship by truck" if I only send them the funds in advance by wire or money order to Africa.... Do they really think we're that stupid? Do they get takers?)

Last but not least, I told everybody I know, friends, former coworkers, neighbors, vets, dog groomers, and anyone who would listen, about my quest for a little dog.

...and one day at the end of August Ruffy and Rocky's former dog groomer called me about a little Shi Tzu/Toy poodle mix that she grooms whose owner needed to find her a new home. I called the owner that day, visited the next, we hit it off immediately, Lena and I, and I brought her home the first week of September.

Lena is about a 10 pounder, with a bit of pudge. She looks like a Shih Tzu. (Or maybe an Ewok.) The only indication of her half-poodle heritage I can see is in her surprising ability to jump on furniture way over her head, and perhaps in the softness of her fur. She is a total cuddle-puppy whose goal in life is to spend as much time as possible on my lap, although she does like to take walks. She loves people, but has not socialized with other dogs much and we have some work to do there, but in general she's just a wonderful little girl.

I've had a couple of eventful months since then, with a death in my family requiring some travel, and the associated emotional upheaval. Having a sweet cuddle-puppy at home has been such a wonderful gift. So I am giving special thanks this Thanksgiving for the arrival of Lena the love-bug in my life.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mouseptato/OddsEnds#58126631548...

https://picasaweb.google.com/mouseptato/OddsEnds#58126631596...

RDW
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120079 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
I've had a couple of eventful months since then, with a death in my family requiring some travel, and the associated emotional upheaval. Having a sweet cuddle-puppy at home has been such a wonderful gift. So I am giving special thanks this Thanksgiving for the arrival of Lena the love-bug in my life.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mouseptato/OddsEnds#58126631548...

how very very cool

happy for you both

(...... she does rather look like Ewok royalty

Author: fancifree Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120080 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 8:02 PM
I am captivated by the look in her eyes. She is adorable and how wonderful you found each other!

-Donna

Author: hheuer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120081 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 8:09 PM
Funny, RDW, I was just wondering a few weeks ago if you'd found a new furry friend. I'm so glad you and Lena have found each other!

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120082 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 8:45 PM
She looks very cute :)

Hope she'll bring you many years of happiness

Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120083 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 9:18 PM
Recommendations: 2
Totally an Ewok!! So cute, you have to get her a brown robe for Halloween next year, it'll complete her ewokness (the hood would just hide her pretty little face & that would be a crime!). I'm happy you have found a love bug, we all need one at times.

Michele, Mews & Zuri

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120084 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/19/2012 9:31 PM
Cute little ewok!

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120085 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 7:18 AM
It's meant to be. Cute baby, congratulations!

Rita

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120086 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 10:38 AM
Recommendations: 5
And sometimes furbabies find you!

A little over six years ago, my wife thought I would be devastated when we would lose our aging Skaba, my beloved Siamese.
She made us visit a dairy farm not too far from us. She had been alerted that they had new kittens to give away.
From under pile of hay, three small kittens emerged; all cute, of course. They scattered every which way except for one.
This one little tiger patterned fellow took an interest in my pant leg and proceeded to climb up my leg, almost to my waist!
We named him Horangi, which is Korean for tiger.
It was a few days later when we found out that he was, in fact, a she!
We had to change the gender-specific name to Hosuni!
http://grumpypix.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Online#photo=24...

She is now a grand old dignified lady learning to adjust to the new "kid" -Nettie!

Regards,
Grumpy

Author: gooffool57 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120087 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 12:04 PM
Recommendations: 2
No wonder she's pudgy, I wouldn't be able to resist that Begging photo either.

She's adorable. So happy for both of you.

Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120088 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 12:45 PM
RDW, so happy for both of you.

What a joyful feeling it is to help an animal find a forever home.

I know the feeling myself and am thankful for doing the same for my Taxi boy.

Your pup is a surefire cutie and I wish you both a long life together.

Good for you two!!!

bigpix

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120089 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations to both you and lucky Lena!
Wendy

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120090 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
ii

She is now a grand old dignified lady learning to adjust to the new "kid" -Nettie!

six? old lady ????
Hrrmphhhhhh!

-Riki

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120091 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 2:31 PM
What a cutie!

And what a wonderful way/idea on how to find a new pet - not only for you and the dog, but I'm sure the previous mamma felt better about giving her up that she was going to someone who would really care for her little one.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120094 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/20/2012 8:14 PM
congratulations RDW on finding your precious Lena!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you both!

Hugs, hugs, hugs,
LD

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120104 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/21/2012 8:53 PM
What a little cutie! She does look like an Ewok, too! Very alert and inquisitive look to her. I'm glad you found a new lap pup.

Judi

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120112 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/22/2012 5:46 PM
six? old lady ????
Hrrmphhhhhh!

Well, I suppose cats don't have that long a memory.
It seems that only a decade ago or so, the average life expectancy of a cat was just a little over eight years!
This has greatly increased but you have to agree that Hosuni looks positively regal these days:
http://grumpybiker.multiply.com/photos/album/2/Armrests#phot...

Hosuni AND Nettie enjoyed sharing our Thanksgiving repast with us today!

Regards,
Grumpy

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120113 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/22/2012 7:25 PM
Do you have a picture of Nettie to show us?

Nancy

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120118 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/23/2012 3:13 AM
Recommendations: 3
It seems that only a decade ago or so, the average life expectancy of a cat was just a little over eight years!
This has greatly increased but you have to agree that Hosuni looks positively regal these days:

Regal absolutely... just not 'old'

Riki says 6 yrs is prime of life
www.dropbox.com/s/jg2wp32fzmh4ocm/IMG_4123%202c.jpg

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120119 of 122016
Subject: Re: Finding a new furbaby - long Date: 11/23/2012 8:22 AM
Do you have a picture of Nettie to show us?

Here 'ya go, Nancy:

Regards,
Grumpy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement