Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: David Braze 4/10/00 Article Date: 4/14/2000 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fingfool writes:

<<A couple of quick questions:

1. Is my view of your strategy correct?>>

Yes, it is. And your analysis is very close to the one I used for myself.

<<2. Do you realize (and I feel you do) that in these periods tested, the 5 year stash grows considerably larger as percentage of the total of the stash plus the stock fund, i.e. your fixed income/equity ratio becomes very conservative?>>

Again, yes. I view that as a natural fallout of the periods used, (i.e., worst case).

<<3. Have you run the numbers of your strategy versus strategies of holding various ratios of equities and bonds over several time periods? If you have, can you reveal the results?>>

I have. You can see the results for some of it in a series of 23-some posts discussing Retiree Portfolios. The results appear towards the end, but the whole series is worth reading. It begins in post 223 on the Retirement Investing board at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013000079000&sort=id.

<<4. None of my business but is your personal withdrawal rate 4% or below? If it is, I wouldn't feel you have as much from a personal pain perspective at risk here as many others out there may.>>

I push the envelope by using 6%, but I keep a very sharp eye on things.

<<My surprise at your revelation of the cadets' interest at their age in investing for retirement and your teachings, reminded me of another time I was pleasantly surprised by cadets' reactions. That was after a football game between Army and Illinois (Army won) in Champaign in 1959 at a post game celebration. To my surprise the Army gray jackets soon came off to reveal some pretty moldy T-shirts when I was kind of naively expecting them to sit at attention at the bar. The party was a blast and my only disappointment was that the female part of the crowd seemed to be mostly attracted to the cadets. Must have been those moldy T-shirts.>>

LOL. That must be why they gave me a T-Shirt at the conclusion of my talk. They probably thought I could attract more attention from the distaff side by wearing one. :-)

<<As for your compensation for your duties at TMF, they should give something just for the adult supervision you must have to provide all those young Fools.>>

Again, LOL. Don't forget, though, that my bio notes I'm only 29 and that my two daughters are older than I. In fact, both the Gardners are now older, too. I guess I'm just more mature than most for my age. :-)

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement