UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TParadiso Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 532  
Subject: Fiorina Running Out of Indians to Fire Date: 8/20/2004 5:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Running Out of Indians to Fire

Anyone that has lived the corporate life knows management can play games for a very long time. And despite being utterly incompetent when it comes to knowing how to manage a company, Carly Fiorina is a master at corporate game playing. That includes the smoke-screen acquisition of Compaq Computer.

That maneuver bought the prissy princess of printers a couple of more years on the job. But the clock is ticking. I'll put a stake in the ground and predict she'll not last another 24 months.

Last week HP announced its third quarter results. Overall the company's revenues increased by 9% versus the same quarter last year. Not bad. Unfortunately, that news was overshadowed by a 5% drop in sales in the Customer Solutions Group. This group markets servers and storage products and was a key reason supporting the merger of Compaq Computer and HP.

The news was unexpected, even to Carly. However, being the trooper that she is, she didn't miss a beat. Having run out of Indians to axe, she immediately fired three vice presidents.

What a joke.

First, Carly acted as if the announcement was a total shock to her. There are only two possible explanations for being blindsided. Either you are totally inept and failed to monitor the financial progress of the company during the quarter. Or you are a liar. In Carly's case it's both.

Add to that the complete lack of responsibility she has taken in the matter. Oh no, it was three empty suit VPs that were the problem, not "Ms. Fire-ina." Would it be over the top if I said she makes me sick! It would? OK I won't say it.

Fiorina went on to blame the problems on one of the company's vendors and on a slowdown in the market. OK. Maybe a vendor did screw up, but isn't it the company's responsibility to manage its vendors and not put an outsider on the critical path of making the quarterly numbers? Yes, that is one of those rhetorical questions.

As far as a market slowdown is concerned, well, that is, how should I say it, BULL! Why do I say that? Because right after HP announced Dell Computer announced its numbers. Funny, Dell saw a 26% increase in revenues for server and storage products. And Dell expects an 21% overall increase this quarter.

What about HP's other major competitor IBM? No market slowdown there either. IBM announced it plans to increase hiring for the year from 15,000 to 18,000. Good thing there are plenty of ex-HP employees on the market.

The merger has really paid off, for Carly that is. The day the merger closed the stock traded at $18.22. It's trading at $17.08 as I write. That's a 6% drop at the same time the S&P Information Technology index is up 5.2%.

In November of 2002, Ms. Fiorina said in an interview, "The wisdom of this decision [the Compaq merger] will become more and more evident over time." Hey, she was right for once.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement