Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mazske Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
Hey there,

This is mazske here. I started this board a while ago, when I was pursuing FIRE.

Now, all plans are on hold.

Oh, I still plan to leave my current job, police officer, in 12 years and some months when I'm 50. But, police pay is poor, at least in the area I'm in, and expenses just keep rising.

I have two kid and as much as we try to keep expenses down, they still cost a bit.

We have two cars, since we both work. We had to buy a "new" used car last year when my wife's car suddenly died and we were told that it was not worth fixing because odds were that the rest of the car would fall apart soon. So, we bought a used Toyota Camry and got a good price, burt we are still paying on it.

My car is dying and I think it's on it's last legs. It's 18 years old and has 182,000 miles.

We had to reduce our savings just to make ends meet and trust me, we live very frugally. I hated to do that, but surviving is more important than FIREing.

And, to top it off, I recently turned down a promotion in my job which would have given me a 5% pay raise. Why, you ask?

Because I'm passionate about the work I'm currently doing. I'm doing my best to promote literacy and I honestly believe that I can make a difference to millions of persons in this world. See www.bookemfoundation.org for a glimpse of what I'm doing.

So, if I had accepted the promotion, I would have gone back to the street and my work on literacy and Book 'Em would have suffered.

So, here I sit. A guy who is also passionate about FIREing, so I can pursue my love of promoting literacy as a volunteer, but now I have to put my FIRE plans on hold.

There is not a lot left to cut to Live further below my means. Yes, I could cut out the boys piano class, but I don't want to. OK, before you say they are spoiled by having piano classes, the piano we own is about 50 years old and currently has 6 broken keys that I can't afford to fix.

So, I just keep plodding along, trying to positively impact one child at a time, yet I hope to stay afloat on my meager salary. Taxes, gas prices, food prices and basic living expenses all get higher. My salary does not.

Ok, my rant,no, not rant, my crying, is over for tonight. Sorry about that, but I thought I'd update some of you on what is going on in mazske's life.

Keep the faith, fellow FIRE Wannabees. Just because I've faltered, that doesn't mean any of you will do the same. You can do it!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement