Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
Hey there,

This is mazske here. I started this board a while ago, when I was pursuing FIRE.

Now, all plans are on hold.

Oh, I still plan to leave my current job, police officer, in 12 years and some months when I'm 50. But, police pay is poor, at least in the area I'm in, and expenses just keep rising.

I have two kid and as much as we try to keep expenses down, they still cost a bit.

We have two cars, since we both work. We had to buy a "new" used car last year when my wife's car suddenly died and we were told that it was not worth fixing because odds were that the rest of the car would fall apart soon. So, we bought a used Toyota Camry and got a good price, burt we are still paying on it.

My car is dying and I think it's on it's last legs. It's 18 years old and has 182,000 miles.

We had to reduce our savings just to make ends meet and trust me, we live very frugally. I hated to do that, but surviving is more important than FIREing.

And, to top it off, I recently turned down a promotion in my job which would have given me a 5% pay raise. Why, you ask?

Because I'm passionate about the work I'm currently doing. I'm doing my best to promote literacy and I honestly believe that I can make a difference to millions of persons in this world. See www.bookemfoundation.org for a glimpse of what I'm doing.

So, if I had accepted the promotion, I would have gone back to the street and my work on literacy and Book 'Em would have suffered.

So, here I sit. A guy who is also passionate about FIREing, so I can pursue my love of promoting literacy as a volunteer, but now I have to put my FIRE plans on hold.

There is not a lot left to cut to Live further below my means. Yes, I could cut out the boys piano class, but I don't want to. OK, before you say they are spoiled by having piano classes, the piano we own is about 50 years old and currently has 6 broken keys that I can't afford to fix.

So, I just keep plodding along, trying to positively impact one child at a time, yet I hope to stay afloat on my meager salary. Taxes, gas prices, food prices and basic living expenses all get higher. My salary does not.

Ok, my rant,no, not rant, my crying, is over for tonight. Sorry about that, but I thought I'd update some of you on what is going on in mazske's life.

Keep the faith, fellow FIRE Wannabees. Just because I've faltered, that doesn't mean any of you will do the same. You can do it!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3502 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 9:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Greetings, mazske, bless you for the very important work you are doing both as a law officer and as a promoter of literacy. Something rang out strongly for me: what about a career move towards upper level management in the literacy movement? The pay may be better and you would be spending 100% of your work life on your passion. Then FIRE may find its way back on track.

xraymd

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3503 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 9:32 PM
Maz

Sorry to hear about the temporary setback. Just keep doing what you can, I'm sure you're not giving up on the idea, just not as sure about when you can make it happen.

There is not a lot left to cut to Live further below my means. Yes, I could cut out the boys piano class, but I don't want to.

There's a 'Live' in LBYM. You have to strike some kind of balance, and not just barely exist to advance the FIRE date. But you already know that.

Hope your next "Book 'em" event is a success.

There's a lot to be said for turning down 5% if it means you're happier doing what you're doing. Especially if it's something that you're likely to be doing for a while longer.

Don't give up posting occasionally.

Regards

G.F.

Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3504 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 9:39 PM
It sounds to me that if you gave up a promotion to pursue what you are doing now you have achieved the point of FIRING in the first place- to pursue your dreams.

Plus, I am sure you have some money socked away so just crank up your expected yield on your spreadsheet a little if it will make you feel a little bit better.

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3505 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 10:18 PM
Thanks, xraymd,

Something rang out strongly for me: what about a career move towards upper level management in the literacy movement? The pay may be better and you would be spending 100% of your work life on your passion. Then FIRE may find its way back on track.</>

Bring on, amiga, or amigo.

Find me a position in promoting literacy that will pay more than I make now. Good luck.

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope I have, one day, a positive impact on any children of anyone reading this board. Not to mention the adults, but you all know how to read. Read to your kids! It will help them a lot. Thanks.

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3506 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 10:22 PM
Hope your next "Book 'em" event is a success.

I think we are up to the middle 60's in the amount of authors who are coming. I wish more would come, but most children authors want to be paid, and we just can't do that.

But, this event will be a success and just go me time, but it's gone to spread. But, not the event. I want law enforcement officer every in this world reading to school children everywhere. The impact is cannot be measured.

Thanks for your support. Gracias, mi amigo en Mexico!

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3507 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/13/2005 10:36 PM
Recommendations: 3

I think we are up to the middle 60's in the amount of authors who are coming. I wish more would come, but most children authors want to be paid, and we just can't do that.

It's useful to realize that the large majority of authors make less from their writing than you make as a police officer.

And (if they don't have another job or young children) probably work longer hours.

On the other hand, they don't get into fights with criminals as often. :-)

(Thanks for the work - ALL the work, literacy and otherwise - you're doing.)

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3508 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 1:26 AM
Won't you receive a pension when you leave your police job in 12 years? Retirement in Panama seems a logical move for you...

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3509 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 9:11 AM
Hey, mazske,

I can relate. Sometimes, I think I'm only a few years away from FIRE, then I take a look around this house that'll need a new roof soon, the plumbing is going bad, it needs new carpet, new kitchen floor, new bathroom fixtures... then we have the same situation with cars, ourselves... I could go on and on.

When I get down abut FIRE plans, I take a look at where my retirement accounts were five years ago, and then compare that to today. I bet if you do the same, you'll be amazed at how far you've come. Stick with your plan as best you can, and you will get there some day.

You're doing great work, mazske. The world needs you. Hang in there!

--Chooey

Hang in there, mazske! You're doing great work

Author: BigPasta Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3510 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 10:24 AM
Recommendations: 6

hey mazske,

I haven't had a whole lot of posts on this board lately but I got inspired by your Ali like return to the posting arena.

Anyway,

5%??????? How much do you think that it's worth to you if you can teach one kid how to read? My guess ,Mark, is that there isn't a price. Reading is a gift that should be a right. And you are affording people the right to read.

I didn't see a donation area on the web site!!!! what gives? You could maybe aquire some transportation (after the books of course) that way if people are generous enough.

I dunno.

As far as FIRE goes.....the hell with it. FIRE has all of a sudden been about scrapeing your nickels together so you can quit work at 45 and still afford you co-pays at 80. I always though that the "FI" part of FIRE meant that you can do something important with your life (help family members, charity work etc) not be FI and watch Price is Right re-runs all day long.

As far as I am concerned you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Of course more greeenbacks in the wallet would be nice, but doing your life's work is the pinnacle of ones existance. So forget about the money. There will always be more. Thanks for starting this board, reading to kids, and keeping the streets safe. You are a hero.

Dude, spring for the piano keys man.

Later on,

BP aka nukenick

another guy who wasn't that concerned with FIRE

http://www.pattillmanfoundation.net/index.php

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3511 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 10:32 AM
Recommendations: 2
As others have said already, the fact that you turned down a promotion to pursue a passionate personal interest shows that you're already well on the road to FIRE. It shows that you ae already in a position to accept less job-related income in exchange for having the ability to pursue something you feel strongly about. It isn't 100% FIRE, but it's a start, and hopefully as a little more time goes on, you'll be there all the way.

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3512 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 12:34 PM
It's useful to realize that the large majority of authors make less from their writing than you make as a police officer.

Oh, I realize that. I'm working on a novel myself and I know all about the time I spend working on it and the fact that the potential payout is not very good. But, writing for me is fun. If I can spin my yarns and someone out there enjoys reading them, great.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I think the odds are good that the said book will be published. It's a suspense thriller, not something I want my kids to read. Not until they are older.

But, if I can get several written, maybe I'll take a trip and try to set up book signings along the way. That way, the trip can be a business expense, but I can take the family along and make it a vacation.

Most authors, especially new ones, work other jobs besides just writing. The ones who write full time seem stressed, at times, due to having to meet deadlines, not having control of their schedules, traveling to do book signings, etc.

So, my goal is to just be a casual writer. My name has now been in two books by being acknowledged. I expect it to probably be in a few more in the next year in the same way.

Now, it's time to get it on the cover.

If I can make a buck or two when it's published, all the better.

But, if any authors reading this want to either come to Book 'Em, or want me to read their work if they think I can help with ideas or to make sure the details make sense, just shoot me an e-mail.

Back to Book 'Em. I am slowly working on spreading the event to other localities in the country. It's tough, because first of all, I require that a law enforcement agency be the "host" of the event and I'm having trouble finding passionate cops that are willing to do this. But, we'll spread, I expect.

More to come on Book 'Em in the upcoming months.

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3513 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 12:35 PM
Recommendations: 0
Won't you receive a pension when you leave your police job in 12 years? Retirement in Panama seems a logical move for you...

Yep, I'll get a pension when I retire. And, yes, Panama is a possibility for me. As long as my health holds out.

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3514 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 12:39 PM
Thanks, Chooey. I'm hanging in, thanks for the support.

Hang in there yourself.

Yeah, if I go back 5 years and compare, my net worth has more than doubled. It wasn't much back then, so it's still not a lot, but it's more than if I didn't save anything.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3515 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/14/2005 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 4
Mazke, you're awesome! I wonder if there's a literacy-oriented foundation that would support your efforts to spread the police-literacy connection around the country, while you take a leave of absence from police work. Or perhaps you can get one of those MacArthur Foundation genius grants--I think your Book 'em concept is a work of genius :-)

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3516 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/15/2005 7:28 AM
Things come up to derail our good plans for FI. Car problems and the cost of piano lessons? It could be major health problems with a child, or severe problems with a house such that it's not livable during the repairs. THAT'S the kind of stuff that makes ya' lose sleep.

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3517 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/15/2005 8:29 AM
mazske:
So, here I sit. A guy who is also passionate about FIREing, so I can pursue my love of promoting literacy as a volunteer, but now I have to put my FIRE plans on hold.

There is not a lot left to cut to Live further below my means. Yes, I could cut out the boys piano class, but I don't want to. OK, before you say they are spoiled by having piano classes, the piano we own is about 50 years old and currently has 6 broken keys that I can't afford to fix.

Hang in there mazske! There ARE more important things in life than FIRE. IMHO, FIRE is a luxury that can be pursued but not at the expense of the present. If FIRE'ing means living like a miser and withholding all of the simple pleasures you and your family enjoy in the here and now, then it is not worth it!

I've made adjustments over the years myself to my FIRE plans. I originally expected FIRE at the age of 45. However, after the tech wreck, private school for child number 3 and my wife committed to staying home with all 3 children until they are in JH, I've had to push my FIRE plans out to roughly when I'm 52 (give or take a year).

decath

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3518 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/15/2005 9:48 AM
Recommendations: 6
mazske,

Most FIRE wannabes are trying to get out of their oppressive work situations to pursue something that really matters to them. They feel the solution is to first get a pile of money and then go pursue their dream. The jury's still out on whether or not that works.

It sounds to me as if you've got a passion with your literacy work and you've got a job where you have an impact on your community every day. Contrast that with paper pushers in cubical farms watching the clock every day. They want the sort of engagement you currently have.

Go out and get the book "What Should I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson and read it. You'll see that all sorts of folks are struggling with this life thing. He also talks about his writing career, which you may find interesting. A very good book and I highly recommend it to anyone who's living a self examined life or contemplating a life change.

Here for now, gone forever. How you gonna act?

nmckay

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3519 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/15/2005 6:09 PM

nmckay - your post is perfect.

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3520 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 4:54 AM
Most FIRE wannabes are trying to get out of their oppressive work situations to pursue something that really matters to them. They feel the solution is to first get a pile of money and then go pursue their dream. The jury's still out on whether or not that works.

To paraphrase some people's approach: "I really enjoy doing XYZ and find it rewarding, but you can't make much much money at it, so I'd have to work 45 years before I could 'retire.' Instead, I'll work 35 years at a higher-paying job I hate, so I can retire and then volunteer at XYZ for ten years."

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3521 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 9:15 AM
>> To paraphrase some people's approach: "I really enjoy doing XYZ and find it rewarding, but you can't make much much money at it, so I'd have to work 45 years before I could 'retire.' Instead, I'll work 35 years at a higher-paying job I hate, so I can retire and then volunteer at XYZ for ten years." <<

Right. Or maybe even work for 25-30 years at something they don't like, and spend the next 15-20 doing XYZ for low pay. That's closer to the track I'm looking at.

#29 (who has been in the corporate scene for 18 years now, and hoping it won't be 30)

Author: Rhodnius Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3522 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 10:19 AM
To paraphrase some people's approach: "I really enjoy doing XYZ and find it rewarding, but you can't make much much money at it, so I'd have to work 45 years before I could 'retire.' Instead, I'll work 35 years at a higher-paying job I hate, so I can retire and then volunteer at XYZ for ten years."

Well, like many things around here, it depends on the numbers. If that 35 is instead something like a 15 or a 10, which it can be in some industries, the above plan starts to look pretty attractive. And if that 10 years isn't outright hated, but is at least mostly tolerable, spending that 10 to enable the next 35 starts to look pretty good...

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3523 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 12:10 PM
I think the point is "retire and do what?". If you can just get paid to do the thing you're going to do when you retire, why not just go do it?

nmckay

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3524 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 3:09 PM
If you can just get paid to do the thing you're going to do when you retire, why not just go do it?

Well, in my case what I would like to do is what I used to do; teach skiing, raft guide. But, it won't support me, my wife, and two kids in the manner we would like. But, if I do RE, then I will go back to doing that, only I'll be an old fart compared to the kids who are also doing it. But they are living 6 people in a 2 bdr apartment, or a tent in the summer.

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3525 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 3:52 PM
Why couldn't you write a business plan and shop it around? Maybe you could get backers to open a business doing just that.

nmckay
in a carpe diem mood

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3526 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/18/2005 6:24 PM
>> To paraphrase some people's approach: "I really enjoy doing XYZ and find it rewarding, but you can't make much much money at it, so I'd have to work 45 years before I could 'retire.' Instead, I'll work 35 years at a higher-paying job I hate, so I can retire and then volunteer at XYZ for ten years." <<

Right. Or maybe even work for 25-30 years at something they don't like, and spend the next 15-20 doing XYZ for low pay. That's closer to the track I'm looking at.

One catch is, you mightn't have considered XYZ until you're halfway through your decent-paying but not-so-rewarding career. The stuff I plan to volunteer at after retirement, I wouldn't have believed at the beginning of my working career.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3527 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 8/19/2005 10:42 AM
Why couldn't you write a business plan and shop it around?

What? Ski instructing?

Mostly because I don't really want to. My current job is great. I can see myself doing this for another 10 years easy.

Volucris

Author: jimswarthout Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3551 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 9/2/2005 2:24 PM
You can do it mazske. Don't stop saving. Keep looking for opportunities to cut excess. Do more 'free' stuff. Your kids are learning a ton from a parent with a worthwhile job, a noble vocation and lofty financial ambitions. If it wasn't a struggle, everyone would do it.

Author: jimswarthout Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3552 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 9/2/2005 2:27 PM
I'm in that boat. Five to eight years more of big banking and then on to the really good stuff. 300-400 weeks I can live with.

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3600 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 11/29/2005 9:13 AM
Recommendations: 4
Now, all plans are on hold.

Hey Mazske,

You say your plans are on hold, but do you realize how much work there is to do that is arbitrary to the financial aspect?

What has not come about on the RE board is the Philosophy of RE.

There is of course the philosophy of “save as much as you can” and “don't play the stay ahead of the Neighbor game”. But these are external and will do nothing for you if you haven't covered the internal.

What I'm talking about is the mental and physical aspects required for the true RE person.

It's not just about the money, it's about taking responsibility fully, not a half ass mind game of “We're better because we have taken responsibility for our finances”. Well, big deal, I'm not impressed. That's only part of the picture, a mere fragment.

As this is your board, I'd like permission to dump a few ideas and concepts on everyone. These will include how we think (Methodologies)(and don't think, which I will prove), health aspects for RE's, possible thoughts on 2nd income streams for people who perceive themselves to be locked in.

So? Are you ready for the second renaissance of RE?

Your Humble Servant,

Gracefully Savage

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3601 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 11/29/2005 9:29 AM
As this is your board, I'd like permission to dump a few ideas and concepts on everyone. These will include how we think (Methodologies)(and don't think, which I will prove), health aspects for RE's, possible thoughts on 2nd income streams for people who perceive themselves to be locked in.

So? Are you ready for the second renaissance of RE?

I'm not Maszke, but I'm all ears, Savagegrace!

--Chooey

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3624 of 5069
Subject: Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date: 12/6/2005 8:39 AM
Hey Good People,

I'm withdrawing my request from Mazske to use his board.

After thinking it over, it would be sad if I got the board shut down. In fact, I may not even open a forum on the Fool. As I progress on some writing I'll determine the bast way to proceed. When I do come up with something, I'll drop a line on this board....only.

Savagegrace

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement