Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5076  
Subject: FIRE questions Date: 1/4/2007 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

So I am trying to figure out how to arrange my portfolio, and what needs to be addressed. Here are some ideas I think I should do:

1) Get my money out of cash that is sitting in brokerage accounts. I am thinking of moving it into a S&P500 ETF as a "placeholder". (I've got around 7k just sitting around that has been sitting around for years and it is annoying me that it isn't in the market)

2) figure out where my assets are. I honestly don't know how much money is in foreign investments, REIT's or domestic stocks. I have a rough idea, but very very rough. I think I should submit my portfolio to the X-ray tool on morningstar.

3) Figure out a new financial plan. As I mentioned, I am about a year ahead of schedule according to my original plan (set up 3 years ago). It could be as simple as using the original plan, but plugging in todays numbers. It is a quarterly plan. It reports goals for each quarter. I should come up with new quarterly goals.

4) Determine what to do with the cash accumulating. I have been allowing cash to gather, because I feel my job is insecure, because it is almost enough to pay off the house, and because I am hesitant to put this money into the market that is not tax protected. I am leaning towards paying off the house, which would reduce my income requirements and serve as a low yield bond, which seems like a decent conservative plan. Perhaps too conservative.

5) Get together the paperwork for investments for the close of 2006 and file them all in one place for future posterity.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement