UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MunkeeNutz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128374  
Subject: Fire Safety Tips Date: 4/3/2004 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow, we have two posters who have suffered terrible losses from home fires, one just recently, the other in 1996.

I agree with everyone regarding offering sympathy/condolences.

I hope no one will mind, or think this is out of place, but I think (given that I'm planning on moving into my own first home in a couple of weeks, and just got the insurance yesterday!) some of us might benefit from any advice concerning fire prevention, or safety tips.

Thanks for anything.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48801 of 128374
Subject: Re: Fire Safety Tips Date: 4/3/2004 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yeah, don't use expanding foam near your water heater. I was spraying the foam between limestone blocks in my basemet, and the flame from the water heater jumped to the fumes and ignited my basement wall.

I almost blew up the house.

elizabeth

Author: ajvillas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48803 of 128374
Subject: Re: Fire Safety Tips Date: 4/3/2004 5:05 PM
Recommendations: 4
Hello All,

You can add my name to the list of people who lost a house to fire. Actually it was my girlfriend's at the time (she's now my wife) and luckily I had my own home so she moved in with me. We were sort of living together anyway, sometimes staying at her house and sometimes staying at mine.

We went through a very difficult battle with the insurance company but it was sort of therapeutic for us since we were determined not to lose out twice.

Fire safety is certainly important but you can be the safest person in the world and still have a fire. Having said that we got an ADT security system in the new house. Julie had a security system in the old house but it wasn't hooked up to a central monitoring service. The fire burned for two hours inside the house before anyone saw flames outside by then it was too late.

We were woken up not too long ago by the fire alarm in the new house and before we could even call the security company to tell them it was a false alarm we heard sirens in the distance - the fire department arrived about 3 minutes after the alarm. I think an alarm with central monitoring is worth the price.

Also don't put yourself at a disadvantage with the insurance company. Definitely take pictures or a video of everything in the house. Not just contents but also what type of tile was in your bathroom. Maybe you had marble but the insurance company probably doesn't know it and will only pay for standard ceramic unless you can prove otherwise - this is from experience.

In addition to the video, since we all have computers (unless someone is reading this from a printout) why not make a spreadsheet broken down by room with a list of contents and the prices paid.

Sorry this is so long but it's a topic I'm passionate about. For those of you who have gone through it you know exactly what I mean.

AJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement