Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: whyohwhyoh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5082  
Subject: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 2:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
It's amazing what can change in a year…

1. Net worth up 46% in 2005 versus goal of 26%.
2. Annualized gain in picked stocks (taxed and IRA's) was 18.4% vs S&P500 5.4%. (Go Hidden Gems and BMW Method!)
3. Annualized 401K gain (not including 2005 deposits) was 8.3%.
4. Biggest winners were BBBB, SBUX (bought on dip), CNXS, biggest loser FARO.
5. Large compensation bonuses this year allowed me to quadruple planned savings outside of maxed 401k and Roths, and our company stock price nearly doubled this year for which I am deeply and scarily invested (now over 11% of net worth).

Current Portfolio:
33.5% Picked Stocks
20% 401k Mutual Funds
46% Real Estate
0.5% Bonds

We had our first child this past summer, which of course added a challenge to our budgeting needs…. yet my SAHW has worked very successfully at keeping expenses low. Go craigslist! Buying 90% of his clothes, toys, etc used.

Goal for 2006: Increase net worth by 19%. This will be a tough challenge due to loosing a large chunk of compensation bonuses in 2006, our 3.375% 3/1 ARM expires this summer, and I am taking 6 weeks of semi-paid family leave to travel around Europe with my family.

2005 update:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21842676&sort=username

2004 update:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20380221&sort=username

Good luck to all….

--
whyohwhyoh
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3626 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 3:37 PM
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations, you did pretty good.

For me:
Retirement funds up 22.5%, performance of all investements was +8.3%

Barebones retirement is 5 years away, comfortable retirement is 8 years away, using somewhat conservative assumptions on ROR and inflation. FI is 1.5 years away if I and the family want to eat Ramen every night. I guess the overall increase in Net Worth was 32% over last year
(exceptional one time event), but I don't really track that number on a yearly basis since that's not what I will use for FIRE.

Author: whyohwhyoh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3627 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 4:32 PM
Volucris,

How do you define FI, barebones, and comfortable?

Also, I use net worth as my ultimate tracking number since when I become FI our family is currently planning to move overseas to my wife's family. So all assets will be sold.

My new goal is to be FI when my son turns 3 so he can enter preschool overseas. I just can't take working for another 10 years... need a break. My new target to quit is summer 2008, although my retirement will be I think "barebones" and I haven't really sat down and set up a retirement budget. Overseas preschool is free, healthcare is free, we have a house to live in, and a car... but we will want to travel frequently. And we will eventually want to move back to the States.

--
whyohwhyoh

Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3628 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 4:48 PM
Yes you did spectacularly.

We are up about 22% for the year (although I may be underestimating real estate slightly). This corresponds roughly to our net income. I am estimating at least 8-10 years away from FI.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3629 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 5:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
Volucris,

How do you define FI, barebones, and comfortable?

FI = Pay mortgage, health care, food, clothes, minimum living expenses in terms of utilities, etc, all on a 4.5% SWR

BB = All of above, plus the ability to go out to eat, go backpacking, etc, i.e. only inexpensive local trips, once a month or so. SWR = 4%

C = all of above, plus one or two international trips a year, new used car every five years or so, no mortgage, SWR = 3.5%

As always, all of the above is inversely proportional to current job enjoyment.

Whyohwhyoh,

Where is your wife from and where will you move when you move?

Volucris

Author: whyohwhyoh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3630 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 5:44 PM
Whyohwhyoh,

Where is your wife from and where will you move when you move?

My wife, of ~10 years, is from a small town in Normandy where her friends and family live. We plan to move there and live in her mother's house, which is a short walk from her father's house.

Having kids has really made her homesick for her friends and family.

We have no family and only a few friends here in the bay area.

--
whyohwhyoh

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3631 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 6:04 PM
My wife, of ~10 years, is from a small town in Normandy where her friends and family live. We plan to move there and live in her mother's house, which is a short walk from her father's house

Nice. We've been to Bayeux. Nice area, very nice people. I'm jealous.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3632 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 7:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
My update (with some 401k income to be added):

14.33% return on all investments (thanks in part to AAPL, NFLX & screen stocks)

19.77% increase in total net worth

Passed $1,000,000 in total net worth back in June.

Projected FIRE date: 4/5/2012

-murray

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3633 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 7:32 PM
FWIW, my "picked stocks" returned 38% in '05 according to Quicken.

-murray

Author: mazske Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3634 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/4/2006 10:03 PM
FWIW, my "picked stocks" returned 38% in '05 according to Quicken.<i/>

Just out of curiousity, do you mind sharing what stocks you picked?

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3635 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/5/2006 12:46 AM
FWIW, my "picked stocks" returned 38% in '05 according to Quicken.<i/>

Just out of curiousity, do you mind sharing what stocks you picked?

or, more interestingly, how you picked them?

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3636 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/5/2006 1:09 AM
Overall, my net worth was up by 22% last year although I had not set a specific goal. For 2006, my goal is to increase net worth by 25%.

My best performing investments were my "mad money" portion of my portfolio. Years back I had tried my hand at individual stocks and lost a good deal of money, my only good investment at that time was YHOO which I still own right now.

After that experience, I became more active at the Fool and began learning more about investing. I moved my retirement accounts to index funds and didn't do a whole lot with my taxable account either. This year I took a small amount and started back into individual stocks.

Here were my stock transactions for 2005, not a very active trader:

GDP - 50.4% gain
GGB - 7.9% loss
KEP - 13.6% gain
URBN - 12.0% gain
COH - 2.2% loss (still holding)

These stock selections were made via a combination of CANSLIM-type selection and technical analysis.

dt

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3637 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/5/2006 9:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what stocks you picked?

or, more interestingly, how you picked them?

AAPL – Long time product user and believer in Steve Jobs. Held since '98

NFLX – Long time product user. Held since '03

CSCO – Got caught up in the tech boom in the '90's. Sold for a loss.

CMI – I work for a division of Cummins and get a 10% discount on stock purchases. I sell when I get a 25% return.

Screen stocks (PEG & Keystone100) http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23492317

First half of '05 (returned 25%): RIG, AET, TXU, MON, SBUX, SWN, CEM, POT, CRS ,PKOH

Second half of '05 (returned 18%): VLO, EOG, XTO, LM, ECA, ACI, CELG, FTO, LCAV, LSS

'05 was by far my best year for screen stocks. Overall with screens, I've got about 10% return since '00 compared to -1% for the S&P over the same time.

-murray

Author: ramseesforever Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3638 of 5082
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/5/2006 2:56 PM
Our portfolio gets rebalanced monthly. Last year (started in May, so May to December) we were up close to 28%. Our current stocks for January are:

SWN - Southwestern Energy Company

RHAT - Red Hat

GES - Guess ?

SNDK - SanDisk

LMS - Lamson & Sessions

ramseesforever

http://www.brownmoose.com

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement