UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ChilkatSally Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749477  
Subject: FIRE'd Date: 4/25/2001 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 132

Today is freedom day, the day my dreams and my reality have converged. I can't think of too many days that could compare to this one, my last day as a state employee, and more then 30 years of programming.
Today, I erase all retire early spreadsheets on my work computer, throw out my coffee mug and turn in the keys. YEA!

Many wonderful things have happened to me over the years, but they were gifts, born under a lucky star, being in the right place at the right time.

Retiring took planning. I started deferring a small portion of my paycheck in the mid 80's. I didn't have a fixed plan, retirement date or any life goals. One of my older wiser co-workers told me that these new plans that allowed us to save and invest tax deferred money was the best deal that could happen to working stiffs. He insisted that I at least do the minimum that the plan allowed. I sent him a thank you card yesterday.

There is a lot of advice and some really big brains available on boards like this one. The smartest thing I did was to take that good advice. We all have different agendas but a goal of financial independence will make our dreams, our reality.

My house is sold, excess possessions disposed, my car is packed, my ferry tickets purchased. I don't have a fixed agenda beyond the next 6 months. I plan to spend time with friends and family; I plan to learn more about investing; golf and finally to travel.

I want to thank you folks who contribute to the dreams of others.

Susan

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement