Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 441245  
Subject: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Maybe

'Firefly': Alan Tudyk Talks Revival Hopes
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/firefly-alan-tudyk-...

I've been very much enjoying the Firefly series on Netflix. I have a sweet setup in the basement: eliptical, TV, internet TV box thing with Netflix. Since August I've watched 24, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and now Firefly, and gotten in pretty darn good shape.

Only got one Firefly episodes left and the movie. Suggestions welcome on what to watch next. Has to be action type or I focus on my burning legs and arms too much.

So, you Firefly fans, why the old-style weapons? Is it just the Wild West motif, or is there some future-tech reason? The "check battery" on the laser pistol was a bit silly (though I laughed of course - Mal wins again).

Anyways, let's hope Firefly does come back.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417865 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 12:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyways, let's hope Firefly does come back.

lil bit tricky since Mal and Zoe have their
own new series

how much action you need?

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417866 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 1:32 AM
Firefly is awesome. I just ordered this shirt (while it was available):

http://www.qwertee.com/product/you-can-t-take-the-sky-from-m...

Last I knew Joss wasn't going back. He was devastated when they canceled it, and has moved on. Without Joss it won't be Firefly. Also many in the cast have new jobs...likely under contract. They have to use the original cast or it wouldn't be accepted by the fans.

So, you Firefly fans, why the old-style weapons? Is it just the Wild West motif, or is there some future-tech reason? The "check battery" on the laser pistol was a bit silly (though I laughed of course - Mal wins again).

Depends where you are. If you're in the core planets the tech is much more advanced. If you're in "the boonies" it is not as available, and undoubtedly very expensive. Plus I suspect it's easier to keep former-rebel worlds from acting up again if you stay more advanced than they are. They never really explain it. They just go with it. You have to glean it from bits of dialogue over several episodes.

If you liked the show you'll love the movie. It wraps up several things very nicely.

1poorguy (take me out to the black...)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417867 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 1:56 AM
Depends where you are. If you're in the core planets the tech is much more advanced. If you're in "the boonies" it is not as available, and undoubtedly very expensive. Pl

makes sense. that and 2d amendment eliminated

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417872 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 8:32 AM
Recommendations: 1
Suggestions welcome on what to watch next. Has to be action type or I focus on my burning legs and arms too much.

Farscape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farscape
Farscape (1999-2003) is an Australian science fiction television series, produced originally for the Nine Network. The series was conceived by Rockne S. O'Bannon and produced by Jim Henson Productions and Hallmark Entertainment.[1] The Jim Henson Company was largely responsible for the various alien makeup and prosthetics, and two regular characters (the animatronic puppets Rygel and Pilot) are entirely Creature Shop creations.

Although the series was under contract for five seasons, it was abruptly cancelled after production had ended on its fourth season, effectively ending the series on a cliffhanger. Co-producer Brian Henson later secured the rights to Farscape, paving the way for a three-hour miniseries to wrap up the cliffhanger, entitled Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, which Henson directed himself. In 2007, it was announced that the creator was returning for a web-series, but production has been repeatedly put on hold. A comic book miniseries was released in December 2008 that was in continuity with both the series and the hoped-for webisodes.[2]

I have no idea if it's available on NetFlix since our connections to the outside world are done by satellite.

PF

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417873 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 9:13 AM
That would be awesome, although some of the cast have commitments to other shows now. If their hiatuses could be worked out, that would be incredible.

My guess on the old-style weapons (other than "Joss wanted it that way") is that in a resource-scarce environment, lower-tech would be easier to manage, and might be all that would be available to people who weren't tight with the Alliance.

I like Chuck, Battlestar Galactica (that might be a little heavy for exercise time) Sons of Anarchy. SoA would be good for a workout and would have the most action of the three.

cm,
closet Browncoat

Author: minorcard Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417874 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 9:15 AM
Burn notice

Marie

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417876 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 11:26 AM
The end of the last episode will have you screaming "NOOOOOO!"

But you at least have the Serenity movie to wrap things up.

I don't think we'll ever see Firefly again. The much-anticipated movie only broke even financially, maybe even a bit of a loss, and didn't leave much room for sequels as far as the story went.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417878 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 11:28 AM
For some decent action sci-fi, you might check out Pitch Black followed by Chronicles of Riddick. There is a 3rd one coming out this fall.

And if you haven't seen the new Battlestar Galactica series from a few years ago, it's really good.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417886 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 1:04 PM
I don't think we'll ever see Firefly again.

Alas, I agree. On the other hand I would rather that than having them trash the franchise the way Star Trek is being raped.

...didn't leave much room for sequels as far as the story went.

Joss could probably do it. There are back-stories they could get into. For example, Inara suffering a terminal illness. She is, but we don't know anything about it.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417888 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/10/2013 1:49 PM
Burn notice

good choice.

i didn't like the series much, but Lots of action.

i really can't think of anything else with as much action as Firefly..

maybe an OLD western?

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417916 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 11:11 AM
If you liked the show you'll love the movie. It wraps up several things very nicely.

I'm half way though. So that's where Reevers came from...

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Farscape: Netflix response: “After searching for Farscape, many members stream…Firefly”

The Chronicles of Riddick: Netflix response: “After searching for Chronicles of Riddick, many members stream…Serenity”

New Battlestar Galactica: Netflix has 4 seasons. Will try that.

Burn Notice: I watched a couple of episodes on TV. Meh. YMMV

Sons of Anarchy: Netflix has it. Will try that.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417919 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 11:40 AM
New Battlestar Galactica: Netflix has 4 seasons. Will try that.

You might check out Babylon 5 if you've never seen that one. BSG borrowed a fair amount of material from it, as did Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417924 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:03 PM
You might check out Babylon 5 if you've never seen that one. BSG borrowed a fair amount of material from it, as did Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Will do. Thanks.

I don't watch much TV, apart from the exercise thing.

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417925 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:05 PM
Only got one Firefly episodes left and the movie. Suggestions welcome on what to watch next. Has to be action type or I focus on my burning legs and arms too much.

If you like the western aspects of Firefly (and you're not opposed to excessive language and violence) then I would suggest Deadwood. I doubt it's on Netflix but if you have HBO you can watch all three seasons on HBO Go. As for shows on Netflix, there's always shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417927 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:17 PM
Regardless of what Sheldon (on Big Bang Theory) says, I think B5 was great. The CGI in the early episodes is a bit weak, and Michael O'Hare is a pretty mediocre actor (frankly). But many of the stories are compelling, and they are part of a larger story arc. It doesn't take long before it really gets rolling (I thought Deathwalker was great!).

You can skip season 5 if you want. I found it very anti-climactic, and not terribly interesting for the most part.

Ivanova has a lot of great lines throughout the series. "If you'll excuse me, but I'm in the middle of 15 things, all of them annoying." :-)

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417928 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:39 PM
I don't think we'll ever see Firefly again.
----
Alas, I agree. On the other hand I would rather that than having them trash the franchise the way Star Trek is being raped.

You mean Star Wars? I don't have a problem with the latest Trek movie. The weak point for Trek was Voyager. Enterprise was uneven, but some of the best Trek episodes ever were in the last season of that series.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417929 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:39 PM

Homeland!

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417933 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:56 PM
I also recommend, if you haven't seen these:

Band of Brothers
Lost Girl
Dexter
Sherlock
Touching Evil
Luther

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417934 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 12:58 PM
I was not impressed with the "reboot" of Trek. In fact, the more I think about it the more I think it offended Gene Roddenberry. I note that they waited until his wife (Majel Barrett) died...probably couldn't get her to allow them to use the Trek name while she was alive.

Yes, the movie was action-packed with great visuals. But that's not real Star Trek. JJ Abrams took Roddenberry's thoughtful franchise and turned it into a space-based shoot-em-up. Why not just bring in Arnold and Stallone and Chuck! Gah!!! The default state of a imagination-less film-maker. (Or worse, one who had actual disdain for the franchise as Abrams apparently did.)

It's offensive to the memory of the Great Bird of the Galaxy. I do not plan to see this next installment. And I am not alone...I recently hooked up with some Trekkies online who feel exactly the same. I'm sure this installment will be a success...explosions, impressive visuals, lots of fighting...common folks like that. But based on my limited census, most Trekkies will eschew it.

1poorguy (agrees that Voyager was a lost cause, and I didn't like DS9 either with the exception of a very few episodes; Enterprise was fine until they went into the "temporal war" and "Zindi".)

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417943 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 1:43 PM
I was not impressed with the "reboot" of Trek. In fact, the more I think about it the more I think it offended Gene Roddenberry.

He's been dead for years, I doubt he's been offended for some time.

I note that they waited until his wife (Majel Barrett) died...probably couldn't get her to allow them to use the Trek name while she was alive.

She 'acted' in that movie, providing the voice for the computer on elder Spock's ship that was captured. Remember when young Spock walks on board for the first time and the computer says, "Welcome back, Ambassador Spock." That's her.

Yes, the movie was action-packed with great visuals. But that's not real Star Trek. JJ Abrams took Roddenberry's thoughtful franchise and turned it into a space-based shoot-em-up.

This is getting pretty geekish, but . . .

You might want to look for a copy of the book Inside Star Trek, by Herbert Solow. He was Roddenberry's boss at Desilu, and was the one who bought the idea for Trek originally and made the show happen. Roddenberry comes across like a money-grubbing loony in the book, more interested in screwing every girl in sight (including Uhura) and screwing everyone out of every penny he could (by adding his name as co-writer on many episodes when he contributed next to nothing). After the first few episodes, he pretty much walked away from any hands-on aspect and just raked in the money as 'executive producer', which meant he signed off on it. He did take the time to force the cast members to wear some silly IDIC medallions on camera so he could market them. He also screwed Alexander Courage, the composer of the original theme song, out of 50% of the publishing money by writing lyrics that were never meant to be performed. They are horrible lyrics, look them up. It was just a ploy to grab half the money. Courage was so pissed he left after writing the theme music and never worked for Trek again.

Roddenberry was a real piece of work. After he botched the first movie in 1979, they never let him have any creative input again, whether it was a series or a movie. I hate to burst your bubble, but other than the initial basic idea, Roddenberry didn't contribute a whole lot.

It's offensive to the memory of the Great Bird of the Galaxy. I do not plan to see this next installment. And I am not alone...I recently hooked up with some Trekkies online who feel exactly the same. I'm sure this installment will be a success...explosions, impressive visuals, lots of fighting...common folks like that. But based on my limited census, most Trekkies will eschew it.

Great Bird? You make me laugh! Ha! ha!

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417946 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 2:18 PM
Gene was a skirt-chaser, no doubt. And, yes, his involvement was somewhat less after he got it rolling. I have not read the book you cite, though I have read (and still own a copy of) The Making of Star Trek. It does not paint quite the same negative picture you indicate (which doesn't mean it's wrong, but one then has to look at 'spin' to figure out which is more right).

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Star-Trek-Stephen-Whitfield/dp/...

There is little controversy of which I am aware that Gene did come up with the original concept, and had to fight studio execs who wanted non-stop bar room brawls and explosions. He wanted a "ship of peace" (which he largely got with TNG, though I hated the pilot episode). His vision was very egalitarian. Not only was there a woman bridge officer, but she was black. In 1966 that was radical. And that led to the first televised interracial kiss (Uhura/Kirk), which also was extremely radical for the time.

The first Trek movie was...odd. Sort of an interesting idea, though I could have done without Ilia. It was far from the worst of the Trek movies, however. That honor probably goes to ST V, followed by just about any of the TNG movies**. They had to do a reboot after the TNG movies because they were such pieces of crap, so the original franchise was trashed beyond recovery. Of course, they could have just let it fade away with a little dignity.

I'm sad to learn Majel sold out. Maybe this is what killed her (she died in 2008). Abrams almost created a super-hero genre film last time (again, not an original observation...I read that somewhere and agreed). Super hero vs super villain, grudge match, duel to the death. Ugh.

1poorguy (feel free to geek all you want!)

**I am not original in noting that in the TNG series Picard was calm, thoughtful, introspective, resorting to violence only when necessary; but in the TNG movies he was brash and volatile and not thoughtful at all. Not even the same character, really.

Author: nigelwhalmsley Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417958 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 4:17 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Suggestions welcome on what to watch next."

Battlestar Galactica. Somehow I never watched it when it aired on NBC/SciFi, but recently watched the entire run. Some of the best television ever produced, IMHO.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417973 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 11:48 PM
Thanks for more suggestions.

Started Battlestar tonight after the end of Serenity. Turned into a two hour workout. Now hooked on BG.

Author: nigelwhalmsley Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417974 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/11/2013 11:56 PM
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417975 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 12:20 AM
Started Battlestar tonight after the end of Serenity. Turned into a two hour workout. Now hooked on BG.

I can't believe they went the whole series without some kind of coffee joke.

"Starbuck, it's your turn to make coffee today."

"No, don't let her! Starbuck's coffee sucks!"

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417976 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 6:16 AM
Welcome to the club! BSG is the reason I'll be attending my first con ever in May :-) It's darker than Firefly, but has much more depth (and lots more seasons!)

cm,
fangirl

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417977 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 6:57 AM
I'm sure this installment will be a success...explosions, impressive visuals, lots of fighting...common folks like that.

Do you realize how elitist that sounds? :)

Draggon - common, but uncommon

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417986 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 10:16 AM
Hope you enjoy the Con. Which one? Comic-con in San Diego is in July.

I'm a veteran of several StarCons. Way back in 20th century. It's an interesting experience, and can be fun. Got a chance to chat with James Doohan while we were both waiting for our rides after one of them.

However, I must differ with you regarding BSG. Don't get me wrong. I watched every episode. And discussed them at length with my fellow geeks. I certainly agree it is a worthy thing for viewing while exercising. But more depth than Firefly? Only by virtue of the fact that it ran longer, IMO. There was a LOT of depth on Firefly, but it ended before we got to see most of it. Did you know Inara had a terminal illness? That would have come out. They were already alluding to it. Joss had several things in mind for the characters, and we were learning about each bit by bit. Like peeling an onion.

BSG? Not so much. One of the geeks I discussed BSG with (and Firefly, too) was the type who dug up all sorts of tidbits, read every interview he could. Evidently, despite the tagline "The Cylons were created by man. They rebelled. They evolved. And they have a plan.", they really didn't (have a plan). The writers were making it up as they went. That's why later episodes were seemed random and unfocused. The earlier episodes were mapped-out, and tight. They were awesome. But there was no pre-planned story arc after that, so (for lack of a better way to say it), it lost focus. They literally had no idea how they were going to end it (even though they knew they would end it).

I still enjoyed the show. I was tuned-in every week. But knowing that did help explain why the show seemed aimless for a while.

1poorguy (fan/geek)

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417987 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 10:36 AM
Welcome to the club! BSG is the reason I'll be attending my first con ever in May :-) It's darker than Firefly, but has much more depth (and lots more seasons!)

Thank-you for overlooking my rookie mistake (calling it 'BG').

Won't happen again.

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417989 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 11:02 AM
It's Galacticon 3, which is lower key, but it's in conjunction with Comicpalooza in Houston. At least DH and I won't feel like the oldest people there, since it's a mix of the original and re-imagined BSG.

DragonCon, etc. seem very over-whelming and I wouldn't try it without some younger "keepers."

Funny you should mention James Doohan. One of the reasons I did like the ST movies was the chance it gave me to keep seeing my favorite actors/characters age and keep working. I liked the 1st ST re-boot for letting me see Leonard Nimoy as Spock one more time.

There is probably a difference in perception of BSG depending on where the viewer is coming from (as with everything).

The themes of family, female empowerment, especially middle-aged female empowerment, loss, recovery, how we deal with death & grief, aging, disability, sexuality, how we handle doing hard and painful tasks, the power of trauma to change a person...what is right and wrong when it comes to the greater good. It seemed to me to be drenched in those themes, some by the writing, and some by the acting, directing, and editing.

I do think some of the actors had a strong sense of how they wanted their characters to be, (for better or for worse) even when the writers went in different directions.

That it went to those places with the challenges the show had from all directions (the writer's strike, etc.) was impressive.

Firefly did have a lot of that, and I can see more of that coming out if it had gone on (poor Inara!) and I wish Book's story that was shown in the graphic novels had been shown on the screen.

For me, though, there were more accessible characters in BSG, more points where I could say "oh, yeah, I know what that's like" than in Firefly, although Firefly had its share of those moments as well, and if given 3 more seasons, I'm sure it would have had more.

And for what it's worth, I do like Joss better than I like Ron Moore.

cm

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417990 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 11:19 AM
I agree about Book. There was a story behind that man. I would very much have liked to see it developed further. I'm thinking he was an "operative", like the guy in Serenity. Or if not, he was close enough to know a lot about them.

I don't know that I can say "I know what that's like", but certainly I agree there was a lot of dealing with guilt and grief on BSG. The female empowerment I'm not so sure about. In that society females were simply equal. It does not appear to have been a question for them. So I don't see "female empowerment" as either an issue or a theme any more than "male empowerment" would have been. Female pilots, female president, female admiral (Pegasus). They didn't have the hang-ups our society does, so they really spent no time on it. It just was. Like Uhura on the bridge of the Enterprise. A black woman bridge officer. She just was. They didn't dwell on it at all (even if the audience, and probably sociologists, did).

1poorguy

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417992 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 12:20 PM
Maybe empowerment isn't the best word, although I do think it was empowering for the audience, (as Uhuru was, in her day) to see women in the roles they had on BSG. Especially flawed, damaged, and older women. Just having equality as a norm seems to speak to me of empowerment, although maybe I'm not defining it right in referring to it as a theme.

And the same for the men, I suppose. Two of the male leads were not young, fit men, the archetypal hero, at all. There were a lot of males being driven by emotion, which feels outside of the norm for tv shows.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched a lot of popular tv shows, so I could be way off base here. This is just my impression.

Side note: in another message board, the question came up, who would you have voted for, Baltar, or Roslin, in the first election? As much as most people adore Laura Roslin, most are saying her sudden religiosity would have swung them towards Baltar the scientist, even with him being odd and creepy.

cm,
rambling today...

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417993 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 12:35 PM

Did you check out the new prequel series? Blood and Chrome I think? I didn't catch the pilot but may check it out if reviews are good.

PS Comic-con...in San Diego...

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417995 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 12:39 PM
For me, though, there were more accessible characters in BSG, more points where I could say "oh, yeah, I know what that's like" than in Firefly, although Firefly had its share of those moments as well, and if given 3 more seasons, I'm sure it would have had more.

And might have turned insane like BSG did at the end :)

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417997 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 12:59 PM
I did watch B&C...it's not a series, though :-( There was a series of webisodes that were put together for the movie this week on ScyFy.

And yes, I pre-bought the DVD :-P I loved what they did with the CGI, and Bear McCreary did the music.

And, dude, young Adama had a big old Ha'la'tha tattoo on his back!! And got heat for his Ha'la'tha connections. Nice nod to Caprica.

<PS Comic-con...in San Diego...

Don't think I don't think about that every so often...because I most certainly do! :-) So far I've satisfied myself with the twitter feeds, but it does cross my mind.

cm

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417998 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 1:35 PM
I did watch B&C...it's not a series, though :-( There was a series of webisodes that were put together for the movie this week on ScyFy.

Ahh, I will have to check it out before it's gone then!

6 (loved the entire...season...of Caprica, too)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417999 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 2:08 PM
Don't know who I would have voted for. Problem is, I know what Baltar is. That taints my view. If I didn't know I might go for him, maybe. Hard to say. A brilliant scientist may not make a particularly good leader.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418007 of 441245
Subject: Re: Firefly revival Date: 2/12/2013 6:20 PM
I agree about Book. There was a story behind that man. I would very much have liked to see it developed further. I'm thinking he was an "operative", like the guy in Serenity. Or if not, he was close enough to know a lot about them.

The story is out there on the internets. Google is your friend!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement