UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886533  
Subject: First 25 days on Cash Diet Date: 9/28/2012 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 76
Exactly four weeks ago on August 31, I posted a request for tips on doing the Cash Diet.
http://boards.fool.com/tips-for-doing-a-quotcash-dietquot-30...

I had been over budget every month since June, often midway through the month. Since I received a fixed income direct deposit within the first week of every month, this was cause for significant concern. Being overbudget means that though I took care of critical expenses every month immediately (rent, utilities, tax payments), expenses was going to discretionary expenses that I rarely wrote down, often did not plan and were impulsive. Usually this meant I sacrificed through my food budget and sometimes delayed payment to non-essential bills. And did not do things like laundry, did not replace household consumables (including detergents, toilet paper), and anything else. My bank accounts usually had less than $10 in it and I was being hit with monthly low usage fees. The straw that broke the camel's back was in mid-August when I was hit with a $35 overdraft charge to checking because I did not do a direct withdrawal from my savings account immediately to cover an expected expense to my checking account. All my accounts, every month, would be down to less than $5 each, more typically as low as $1 or less after monthly charges. In other words, as I waited desperately for my direct deposit in the beginning of each month I had ended the previous month with cumulative totals (savings account, checking account, and cash on hand) from less than $3 to $10 a month.

My Cash Diet started immediately after the Labor Day weekend. My use meant that almost all my fixed and expected expenses were paid by electronic bank payments and planned credit/debit card payments. Any cash expenses were thought out in advance and written down.

The results so far.

As of this morning, I have $142.64 in my savings account, $35.10 in my checking account, and $2.53 in my wallet.

I caught up with some other expenses that I had been putting off.

My refrigerator is adequately stocked with food and staples. I have been cooking lots of healthy and filling meals all month. Even with an unexpected guest for several days, I had more than enough food. Right now, I have a hearty amount of leftovers to pick from as well as fresh ingredients.

And last, though highly subjective and impossible to quantify, I did not feel inadequate or deprived at all.

I still have a week to go before my next direct deposit, but I feel very comfortable and secure for the first time in a long time. I am genuinely amazed. All it took - not that it is as simplistic as that sounds - was planning, tenacity, and determination. But I did it.

Thank you for being here.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement