Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 2:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 43
I figured any retirement calculator I could find for years, saved my pennies, lived frugally, paid my house off early (10 years ago), put funds in IRAs every year, utilized my employer's 401B and 457 (deferred comp) to the max, and said, "when they pay me as much to stay at home as they pay me to work, then I'll retire."

I pulled the plug at the end of November, and yesterday I got my first retirement check. Was I right on my calculations? I opened that check with some trepidations ... and WOOHOO! My pension check take-home is indeed MORE than I had been actually living on for the last several years. The 401B, 457, and IRA funds can wait - they aren't needed yet.

Big, big happy dance!

So, here I am, presenting myself as a newly-minted Retired Fool.

RDW
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14497 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

And may most of your retired days be sunny. Congrats, and welcome to the club.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14498 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 4:03 PM
Recommendations: 1

Welcome, and again, congratulations. Now go shovel some snow.

Phil

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14499 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 4:11 PM
Recommendations: 0
Now go shovel some snow.

LOL, Phil, that's EXACTLY what I've been doing this morning!

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27318238

RDW

Author: tdbowz One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14500 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 4:25 PM
Congratulations, RDW and welcome to the crowd. I've been out of the rat race for more than 12 years now and never missed it one iota.

td (who is currently wintering over in South Fl. and diligently looking for work in snow removal)

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14501 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 8:33 PM
Hey RDW. Congratulations. Enjoy your retirement.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14502 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 8:42 PM
You may become a SunnyDayWoman now :-)

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14503 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 9:38 PM
You may become a SunnyDayWoman now :-)

LOL. I still live in the middle of a rainforest, though, so for me most days are rainy days. That is, unless it's snowing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongass_National_Forest

RDW

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14504 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/3/2009 11:43 PM
I pulled the plug at the end of November, and yesterday I got my first retirement check. Was I right on my calculations? I opened that check with some trepidations ... and WOOHOO! My pension check take-home is indeed MORE than I had been actually living on for the last several years. The 401B, 457, and IRA funds can wait - they aren't needed yet.

I retired 4 years ago when I realized I could (& did) spend less than $25K/year. Haven't touched retirement accounts yet, have started to 'harvest' CD ladder.

Happy the rest of your life.:)

Author: ChilkatSally Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14505 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/4/2009 6:36 AM
I lived in RDW's hometown most of my life. I left seven years ago for better weather.

While I miss the people and lifestyle there, I don't miss the rain and snow.

Congratulations!

I have searched high and low for someone to fix the roof of my cabin. I haven't been able to get a handyman at any price.

Maybe by next summer I can get some work done.

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14506 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/4/2009 2:15 PM
I left seven years ago for better weather.

So, ChilkatSally, where did you go to find better weather? Washington or Oregon perhaps?

I awoke this morning to another foot or so of fresh snow; had to shovel immediately for my height-challenged Maltese, Rocky.

While I love Juneau, there are days (usually in the winter) where I'd like to be someplace a little more temperate. I don't really mind the rain so much, but shoveling is a pain. Not to mention the difficulty in getting around once you shovel yourself out of your own place.

RDW

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14507 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/4/2009 4:50 PM
Special for you Alaskans:

http://www.last.fm/music/Johnny+Horton/_/When+It%27s+Springt...

Also:

http://www.newsminer.com/arcticcam/

<<I mushed from Point Barrow through a blizzard of snow
Been out prospectin' for two years or so
Pulled into Fairbanks, the city was a-boom
So I took a little stroll to the Red Dog Sea-loon

As I walked in the door, the music was clear
The purtiest voice I had heard in two years
The song she was singin' made a man's blood run cold
When it's Springtime in Alaska, it's forty below
(When it's Springtime in Alaska, it's forty below)
>>

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/When-It's-Springtime-In-Alaska-lyrics-Johnny-Horton/B6A6B62092AE936148256E2A001274E1

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14508 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/5/2009 1:18 AM
While I love Juneau, there are days (usually in the winter) where I'd like to be someplace a little more temperate. I don't really mind the rain so much, but shoveling is a pain. Not to mention the difficulty in getting around once you shovel yourself out of your own place.

We moved to Portland, OR, when I retired in 2000. I love the rain and find the climate to be most agreeable, the best we've ever lived in (and no bugs in the spring). We got our fill of cold and snow and mosquitoes in Alberta and MN and our fill of heat in Albuquerque and Southern CA. One thing I've missed here is winter. Not really cold long winters but I always thought that a month or six weeks of snow and temps in the 20s would be nice. This year may be the first we get anywhere near that with the most snow in December since 1950 and another snowfall this evening with over two months of winter left.

Welcome to the retired world.

--fleg

Author: iamdb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14509 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/5/2009 12:02 PM
My wife thinks the unseasonably cold weather we've been experiencing in Santa Barbara is too cold when it gets down to 55° in the late afternoon, and she proclaims it to be "freezing" if it hits 50° at night. Of course I proclaim it to be hot if it gets into the upper 70s° during the summer. Mostly our temperature stays in the mid 60° to mid 70° range, boring to you snow mavens.

db

Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14558 of 19483
Subject: Re: First Check Date: 1/23/2009 2:50 PM
iamdb:
<iMy wife thinks the unseasonably cold weather we've been experiencing in Santa Barbara is too cold when it gets down to 55° in the late afternoon, and she proclaims it to be "freezing" if it hits 50° at night. Of course I proclaim it to be hot if it gets into the upper 70s° during the summer. Mostly our temperature stays in the mid 60° to mid 70° range, boring to you snow mavens.

Yes. Santa Barbara has some very harsh climate indeed!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement